Position Title: Group Teacher (Full-Time), Roberta Bright ELC, Coney Island
Department Name: Day Care
Reports To: Director
Direct Reports: Director
The Group Teacher shall meet the requirements set by Agency for Child Development and the sponsoring agency for the day care center in which he/she is employed.
Under the supervision of the educational director of the center, the group teacher shall be responsible for:
- WORKING WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE SPONSORING AGENCY of the day care center and carrying out its functions, policies and procedures; observing the schedules in the center and adhering to its established personnel policies and practices.
- SUPERVISING A GIVEN GROUP OF CHILDREN
- To supervise the planning and execution of a program to provide day care for children which takes into account the educational, social development and health needs of the group, as well as the individual child.
- 1. To take responsibility for keeping equipment and material accessible and in good condition to encourage maximum constructive use by children.
2. To take responsibility for removing or reporting any damaged or hazardous equipment to the director or other designated persons so that necessary action may be taken.
C. 1. To take responsibility for planning and supervising and appropriate arrangement of his/her own classroom furniture designated to promote optimal program functioning.
2. To share in the overall planning for the best use of shared space in relation to the total center program.
D. To plan the use of community resources to enrich the educational content of the children's program.
E. To develop a program of sound educational goals appropriate to the age and developmental level of children that will enable them to make the most of future educational opportunities.
3. PROMOTING THE PROFESSIONAL GROWTH OF CLASSROOM ASSOCIATES
- To share the classroom associates their mutual knowledge and understanding of the sponsoring agency and the community that their center serves.
- To take responsibility for the professional growth and development of the classroom associates through regularly scheduled individual and classroom group conferences based on daily observation of the associates' performance within the group and their application of new skills as acquired through training and experience.
- In cooperation with the director to assist the annual evaluation of the job performance of the classroom associates.
- To take responsibility for an equitable sharing among all classroom personnel relating to all areas of the program.
- PROMOTING SOUND PARENT RELATIONSHIPS
- Developing an appropriate plan by which information concerning the children and program can be shared with the parent, by the Teacher and Associates.
- To attend and participate in group parent meetings.
- To respect the confidential nature of all information about parents and children.
- MAINTAINING OBJECTIVE STAFF RELATIONSHIPS
- Maintaining good working relationships and objective attitudes with other staff members.
- 4. 6. CONDUCTING REGULAR GROUP CONFERENCE
Assuming responsibility for planning and conducting regular group conferences with classroom associates. Encouraging their attendance and participation in workshop and conference designed to further their professional growth.
- 5. 7. COOPERATING IN SELF EVALUATION
Assuming responsibility for discussing his or her own professional performance objectively in regularly scheduled supervisory conferences with the director. Using these conferences as a source of information and professional guidance.
- 6. 8. RECORD WRITING
Writing, keeping, using and sharing with appropriate staff members such as are required and necessary for the effective administration of the center, the development of the program, work with the individual child and group, students, and volunteers.
- 7. ACCEPTING ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITY
Accepting responsibility when required for fulfilling the overall administrative function in the director's absence.
- 8. OTHER RELATED DUTIES, as assigned, consistent with the above.
"The YWCA-NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer."
Please forward your cover letter and resume to Resume3@ywcany.org
3001 West 37th street, Brooklyn, NY, 11224, US