OUR MISSION: Roads to Success aims to promote the academic, social, emotional, and professional development of youth by delivering enriching academic and recreational programming, as well as a college access and career development curriculum. We engage young minds from Kindergarten through young adulthood to foster self-confidence, maturity, responsibility, and positive self-expression to encourage students to build pathways to the fulfillment of their goals.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: RTS After School programs provide young people with creative learning opportunities, recreational activities, homework assistance, and snack. RTS emphasizes a safe and engaging environment, creative programming, and a staff training strategy that enables our young professionals to develop meaningful relationships with the students in their care.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Group Leader works with staff and students to develop a positive community culture at RTS programs and ensure that RTS’ goals for children are being realized. Group Leaders are expected to cultivate meaningful relationships with, and be positive role models for the children they supervise.
- Reports to: Site Director
- Supervises: Students (Grades K- 5)
- Min. Hours: School days, 3:00 ; 6:00, November1st- June 13th
- Salary: $9- $11 per hour based on educational level and experience
- Lead homework help time and provide homework assistance to students;
- Supervise transition times to maintain order and safety;
- Supervise snack time and keep snack area clean;
- Assist instructors in daily activities;
- Lead recreational group games and academic activities;
- Create and implement opening and closing group rituals;
- Assist in the planning and organizing of community service and student leadership opportunities;
- Assist in planning and organizing functions such as performances, competitions, field days, etc.;
- Perform other related duties as requested or assigned by the Site Director;
- Encourage a positive environment that fosters mutual support, community service, good humor and the desire to learn and grow;
- Attend all staff meetings and professional development training sessions.
- High School Diploma/ GED and some college credits;
- Must have at least one positive experience working in youth programs;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and positive rapport with children are required;
- Enthusiasm and positive attitude toward students and peers alike;
- Strong verbal communication skills, and willingness to accept constructive guidance from supervisors;
- Must be willing to learn and implement new strategies in motivation, encouragement and positivity;
- The ability to work as part of a team, take initiative, follow through with minimal supervision, and work under pressure while adapting to changing priorities;
- Candidates seeking careers in youth development, education, or counseling are preferred;
- Must be able to provide all necessary employee paperwork (Background check, references and updated medical).
How to apply
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: Candidate- Group Leader; Your Name (Last, First). Attach a cover letter and current resume in a single file (Microsoft Word or PDF). Your cover letter can be addressed to Roads to Success and should include why you are interested in working in youth development, and what skills or qualities you will bring to the role in which you are applying.
2840 West 12th Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11224, US