GPRO: Green Professional Building Skills Training
Urban Green Council, the New York Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council, seeks a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to manage and lead operations for a national green building education program as GPRO Manager.
About Urban Green Council
Urban Green Council's mission is to lead the advancement of sustainability in the urban built environment through our education, advocacy, and research efforts.
A non-profit organization established in 2002, Urban Green Council, the largest urban chapter of the USGBC, has quickly grown to a full-time staff of 14 and a budget of $2 million. Our in-house experts and a dedicated network of volunteers are helping to transform the built environment in New York City with models that can be replicated in urban centers nationwide.
Urban Green Council provides a range of educational and networking events for its members and the green building community at large, conducts research, and advocates for change that will make cities more sustainable. Flagship programs include the NYC Green Codes Task Force, GPRO: Green Professional Building Skills Training, and the Ebies: Existing Buildings performance awards. Please visit our website to find out more.
About the Position
This managerial position presents a unique and highly influential opportunity with a marquee environmental organization.
GPRO (gpro.org) is a series of courses and exams that teach the people who build, renovate and maintain buildings the principles of sustainability and trade-specific green construction knowledge. It fills a critical gap in the world of green building by completing the circle between green design, construction and operation, engaging audiences not otherwise reached by the case-study seminars typical of green building education. GPRO is delivered by companies to their staff and to a wider audience via GPRO Delivery Partners, which include USGBC chapters, building trade unions, workforce development organizations and community colleges.
The GPRO Manager will be responsible for operations and account management for this fast-growing program and will be critical to its growth and success. Managing a team of two staff and several interns, this Manager will arrive at a critical time in GPRO's national growth and development. S/he will work with the Director of Construction Education to build relationships with new and existing GPRO Delivery Partners and facilitate their launch and expansion. This person will also participate in collaborative projects and meetings with other Urban Green departments.
Nimble and rapidly growing, Urban Green Council requires a GPRO Manager who is flexible, resourceful, and has a strong background in green building. This position will provide the qualified candidate broad latitude to shape the field of green building in the United States.
Key responsibilities include:
- Account Management
- Manage Delivery Partner accounts, including outreach, marketing and contractual issues, in conjunction with Director of Construction Education
- Assist new and existing Delivery Partners in rolling out and expanding GPRO to their constituencies
- Strategy and Finance:
- Assist the Director of Construction Education with program strategy, schedule, budgeting and tracking of finances
- Communicate with high level program advisors, including GPRO Advisory Committee
- Ultimately responsible for meeting program deadlines and improving operational efficiency of GPRO:
- Oversee GPRO Administrative Associate by coordinating and provide guidance on receivables, payables, vendor RFPs, inventory, database and seamless course/exam delivery
- Oversee GPRO Curriculum Associate by coordinating and providing guidance on project schedules, production, quality control of printed and online course materials and Instructor trainings; Review clarity and cohesiveness of all components of course materials
- Improve and maintain GPRO internal policies and procedures
- Manage GPRO HR, including job postings, interviewing, personnel evaluations and assist with managing volunteers and interns.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have experience in project management and possess exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail. Additionally, s/he will be a self-starter with the ability to think through problems and identify forward-looking solutions.
- Bachelor's degree, minimum 3-5 years work experience, including project and team management
- Proven interest in and understanding of green building and environmental issues
- Thorough, with outstanding organizational and follow-through skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities effectively
- Strong communication and writing skills; a writing exercise may be required
- Experience working on fast-paced project teams
- Personable and professional, with ability to navigate organizational networks
- Proactive, strong work ethic, creative, energetic, confident, maintains integrity, initiative, and independence
- Knowledge of and competence with MS Office applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook) and Google docs
Additional Qualifications (optional but preferred):
- Experience working with construction industry, building operations, design or related field
- Experience with adult education programs
- Experience with web-based CRM database
- Good visual sense regarding layout and design
- Knowledge of and competence with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, employee-paid 401(K) plan, and a generous vacation policy
Preferred Start Date: December 17, 2012
Reports to: This position reports to the Director of Construction Education.
How to Apply: Please email cover letter and resume (compiled in a single PDF titled GPRO_[NAME]) with "GPRO Manager/your name" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 5, 2012. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.