GPRO Business Development Manager
GPRO: Green Professional Building Skills Training
Urban Green Council, the New York Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council, seeks a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to manage and lead business development for a national green building education program.
About Urban Green Council & GPRO
Urban Green Council’s mission is to lead the advancement of sustainability in the urban built environment through our education, advocacy, and research efforts.
A non-profit organization established in 2002, Urban Green Council, the largest urban chapter of the USGBC, has quickly grown to a full-time staff of 15 and a budget of $2 million. In-house experts and a dedicated network of volunteers are helping to transform the built environment in New York City with models that can be replicated in urban centers nationwide.
Urban Green Council provides a range of educational and networking events for its members and the green building community at large, conducts research, and advocates for change that will make cities more sustainable. Flagship programs include the Building Resiliency Task Force, NYC Green Codes Task Force, GPRO: Green Professional Building Skills Training, and the EBies: Existing Buildings performance awards. Please visit www.urbangreencouncil.org for more information.
GPRO (www.gpro.org) is a series of courses and exams that teach the people who build, renovate and maintain buildings the principles of sustainability and trade-specific green construction knowledge. It fills a critical gap in the world of green building by completing the circle between green design, construction and operation, engaging audiences not otherwise reached by the case-study seminars typical of green building education. GPRO is delivered via GPRO Delivery Partners, which include USGBC chapters, building trade unions, workforce development organizations, community colleges, and companies who train their staff.
About the Position
The GPRO Business Development Manager will play a central role in expanding the audience for one of Urban Green’s signature programs, helping us reach thousands of blue-collar workers for the first time on sustainability issues. Responsible for business development and partner relations, the Business Development Manger will report directly to the Director of Construction Education. The Manager will work with the Director of Construction Education to build relationships with new and existing GPRO Delivery Partners and facilitate their launch and expansion.
Urban Green Council requires an outgoing, flexible and proactive GPRO Business Development Manager who is familiar with the construction industry and has a strong background in green building. This position will provide the qualified candidate broad latitude to shape the advancement of green building in the United States.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist in developing and be responsible for executing a GPRO Marketing and Sales Plan
- Increase GPRO sales a minimum of 20 percent through partner education. outreach and cultivation of local and national sales leads
- Develop and implement action plans to penetrate specific new markets, such as particular trades or unions.
- Coordinate with Delivery Partners’ leadership to help them improve their sales and activity performance
- Assist the GPRO Account Coordinator with helping new Delivery Partners roll out and expand GPRO to their constituencies
- Conduct and participate in meetings, calls and presentations with new and existing partners from all aspects of the building and construction industry
- Provide timely and accurate proposals after all client meetings
- Assist the Director of Construction Education with sales projections; be responsible for all sales tracking and reporting
Required skills and qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have experience in the building/construction industry, proven sales and negotiation skills and a high attention to detail. Additionally, s/he will be a self-starter with the ability to think through problems and identify forward-looking solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 3-5 years work experience, including sales planning and successfully meeting sales goals
- Proven interest in and understanding of green building and environmental issues
- Thorough, with outstanding organizational, relationship and follow-through skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities effectively
- Strong communication and writing skills; a writing exercise may be required
- Experience working on fast-paced project teams
- Personable and professional, with ability to navigate organizational networks
- Experience with web-based CRM database
- Knowledge of and competence with MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Google Docs
Optional but preferred skills and qualifications:
- Project and team management experience
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, employee-paid 401(K) plan and a generous vacation policy.
Preferred Start Date: March 1, 2013
How to apply
How to Apply: Please email cover letter and resume (compiled in a single PDF titled GPRO_[NAME]) with “GPRO Business Development Manager/your name” in the subject line email@example.com later than February 15, 2013. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.