GIS and Land Resources Analyst
Conservation GIS Manager
Mission of Position:
To assist land acquisition staff to map, analyze, and complete land transactions and conservation easement projects.
Bachelor's degree with a focus in environmental studies, land use planning, landscape architecture, ecology, geography, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or related field, plus two years related experience. Must be detail-oriented, outcome-driven, flexible, creative, and work well as part of a team, with an ability to work under time constraints and handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Proficiency with ArcGIS Desktop and Microsoft Office required. Ecology field skills and ability to identify plant communities, wetlands, invasive species, and other ecological resources strongly preferred. Understanding of the Hudson Valley regional landscape preferred. Experience with handheld Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Adobe Illustrator preferred. Strong writing skills required.
Scenic Hudson works to protect and restore the Hudson River and its majestic landscape as an irreplaceable national treasure and a vital resource for residents and visitors. A crusader for the valley since 1963, we are credited with saving fabled Storm King Mountain from a destructive industrial project and launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today with more than 30,000 ardent supporters, we are the largest environmental group focused on the Hudson River Valley. Our team of experts combines land acquisition, support for agriculture, citizen-based advocacy and sophisticated planning tools to create environmentally healthy communities, champion smart economic growth, open up riverfronts to the public and preserve the valley's inspiring beauty and natural resources. Scenic Hudson has created or enhanced 60 parks, preserves and historic sites.
Scenic Hudson is guided by these enduring principles:
- Everyone deserves opportunities to experience the Hudson River, to enjoy open space and to have a voice in decisions affecting their community.
- The beauty of the Hudson River Valley is a unique source of spiritual and artistic vitality and must be preserved forever.
- An outstanding quality of life is achievable only when a clean, healthy environment is a key component of economic growth.
Principle Responsibilities include:
- Assist Scenic Hudson's Land Acquisition Team in the identification of Hudson River Valley properties exhibiting significant scenic, ecological, agricultural and/or recreational values.
- Create and edit maps of properties of interest using GIS and other computerized graphic software.
- Organize and maintain spatial and tabular datasets with GIS and Microsoft Office.
- Visit properties to assess conservation opportunities, documenting their resources and characteristics, including identification of plant communities, invasive species, wetlands, and flora/fauna.
- Create field reports and maps for specific properties that identify ecological resources.
- Respond to inquiries from landowners, the public, and other Scenic Hudson staff regarding land conservation opportunities.
- Analyze land conservation opportunities in accordance with established team criteria.
- Assist other team members with various transaction-related tasks, including but not limited to reviewing deeds and boundary surveys for accuracy, assembling data from public records, and preparing for property closings.
- Provide general assistance to the Executive Director and Land Conservation Director, and when necessary, to other appropriate staff.
- Complete other assignments as necessary.
Full Time, with competitive salary and benefits. Please send cover letter, resume and samples of GIS mapping or analysis to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.
Scenic Hudson, One Civic Center Plaza, Suite 200, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601