Are you creative, innovative and committed to the urban environment?
Boston Natural Areas Network (BNAN) is a 36-year old urban environmental non-profit working to preserve, protect and expand open space in Boston. Working collaboratively with community, public agencies, and non-profits, BNAN combines the environment with cultural, social and public health issues. BNAN offers a wide range of educational, recreational and cultural programs to build constituencies for Boston’s community gardens, greenways and urban wilds.
We are looking to fill a key position ; the Garden Educator – to develop and coordinate garden education programs for BNAN. The Garden Educator will be responsible for developing, implementing and/or presenting programs that increase people’s skills and knowledge of gardening, health and nutrition, and ecological concepts while working in collaboration with staff, volunteers and consultants.
We are seeking a responsible, passionate and experienced educator with an understanding of community gardens and growing in a variety of urban landscapes and conditions. This individual should possess excellent educational skills, demonstrated experience with garden and nutrition-based education and experience with volunteer management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Work will include, but is not limited to:
• Plan and manage the Master Urban Gardener (MUG) program.
• Manage the Students Learning through Urban Gardening (SLUG) program.
• Manage annual events including the annual Gardeners Gathering and spring and fall festivals
• Develop and present workshops for general public and special programs
• Research, develop and implement new programs aligned with BNAN’s strategic plan
• Work with the Director of Property to develop, program and maintain the Learning Garden at City Natives
• Provide support and advice for community gardeners via phone, email and site visits
• Maintain program records, evaluations and volunteer tracking systems
• Make contributions to newsletter, website and social media
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor or Masters degree in Horticulture, Health & Nutrition, Environmental Science or related fields.
• Familiarity with Boston and community gardens
• Demonstrated teaching, event coordination and volunteer management skills
• Demonstrated experience with program management tools, procedures and budgeting.
• Strong attention to detail and follow-through skills.
• Strong people and leadership skills.
• Ability to work nights and weekends
• Excellent computer, writing and organization skills.
Additional Skills and Interests
• Ability to be flexible and work in non-traditional, multi-racial and multi-cultural environments.
• Knowledge of Spanish or a second language is a plus.
• Access to a vehicle to transport program material
• Sense of humor
Schedule and Salary
Schedule: This is a full time, permanent position at BNAN.
Weekend and evening hours will be required.
Salary: Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience and qualifications, plus generous benefits.
BNAN is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send a resume and detailed cover letter describing why you will make an exceptional Garden Educator for BNAN to Vidya Tikku, Vice President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your last name and the position you are applying for, in the title of your file attachments.
No phone calls please.
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, applying early encouraged.
Vidya Tikku, Vice President