Full-Time Field Science Educator – Golden Gate Campus
NatureBridge field science educators are skilled professionals with significant post-undergraduate experience and training in environmental education content, curricula, and pedagogy. NatureBridge encourages opportunities for growth and professional development, and many of our educator alumni maintain leadership positions in environmental and education communities leveraging in positive ways their NatureBridge experience in positive ways. We partner with the National Park Service, and many of our educators work and live in the national park in beautiful Marin Headlands. Just 10 minutes from San Francisco but a world away! We are hiring currently to start in Winter 2014.
• Weekly, lead students through multi-day, hands-on, experiential learning experiences in outdoor settings.
• Facilitate, using a student-centered approach, interactive, community-building environmental education activities for student groups.
• Use scientific inquiry and lead by example to demonstrate positive and responsible environmental literacy and behavior.
• Differentiate and tailor programs that meet the needs of each school group, incorporating teacher requests within our educational framework, program logistics, and student interests.
• Cultivate a culturally aware learning community using sensitivity to bring cultural relevance to program content and community relationships including students, teachers, and schools.
• Create and lead structured evening programs with student participants
• Manage student safety in outdoor settings using sound judgment and applying appropriate risk management decisions; administer and document first aid as needed.
• Provide weekly, comprehensive pre- and post-trip assessments of student group learning to help evidence achievement of educational goals.
• Actively participate in staff community by attending meetings and trainings as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Required Experience and Education
• Bachelor's degree in science, environmental or multi-disciplinary studies, or a related field.
• Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification or willingness to receive training shortly after being hired. (stipend may be available)
• One to two years relevant teaching experience (preferably outdoors) and a working knowledge of inquiry-based, multi-disciplinary science and natural history.
• Ability to perform physically challenging work in the outdoors and in all weather conditions on uneven terrain.
• Commitment to diversity and inclusiveness within your teaching and our community.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• A willingness to be coached and openness to feedback.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends.
• Valid and current driver's license necessary in some locations.
• Advanced degree and/or teaching credential.
• Experience with English Language Learners or urban youth.
• Ability to speak and/or teach in a second language.
• Full time compensation dependent on experience and campus location (plus additional compensation for evening/weekend work).
• Includes housing (or proportional stipend), medical and dental plan, retirement plan, paid training, paid vacation, and sick time for full-time hires.
NatureBridge values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to diversify our workforce and seek applications by individuals from all backgrounds, abilities, cultures, orientations, identities, and communities.
How to apply
The deadline for applicants wishing to be considered for the full-time Field Science Educator position beginning in the Winter Session 2014 is October 30, 2013.
A complete application consists of the following: • A letter of interest describing why you want to work for NatureBridge in Golden Gate • Your current resume • Contact information for three references
When your application materials are ready please complete the application form online. http://www.naturebridge.org/field-science-educator-information-request-golden-gate
For those applicants with limited computer access, please mail applications to: Field Science Educator Hiring Committee NatureBridge at Golden Gate 1033 Fort Cronkhite Sausalito, CA 94965
Field Science Educator Hiring Committee NatureBridge
1033 Fort Cronkhite, Sausalito, CA, 94965, US