An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Founding Reading Specialist
Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School
Overview: About Public Prep
The Public Prep Network is a nonprofit organization that develops single-sex elementary and middle public schools that pursue excellence through continuous learning and data-driven instruction. Our model is designed to empower each student to build strong character, demonstrate critical thinking, possess a core body of knowledge and be on a predictive path to earn a degree from a four-year university.
Our network is currently comprised of three all-girls charter schools: Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School, and Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School. We are elated to be launching Girls Prep Bronx Middle School and Boys Prep Elementary School in the fall of 2014.
We are elated to be launching Girls Prep Bronx Middle School and Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School in the fall of 2014. For more information, visit us at www.publicprep.org.
Joining our team at Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School
Public Prep is seeking a Reading Specialist to join the founding team at Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School in the Soundview neighborhood of the Bronx for the 2014-2015 academic year. The role of the Reading Specialist will be to provide reading intervention and remediation supplement classroom teaching for students performing below grade level in reading as well as provide professional development for classroom teachers to support struggling readers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide intensive reading instruction in foundational skills, including vocabulary and writing, and the high order thinking skills necessary to reading accurately, fluently, and with deep comprehension.
- Plan, design, and execute lessons for individual students that incorporate a wide range of reading instructional procedures and empower students to develop strategic behaviors when reading and writing.
- Develop lesson plans on data collected, analyzed, and synthesized from careful observation of reading and writing behaviors and daily running records of student's reading abilities.
- Engage in coaching and development tools and strategies that maximize teacher performance and that of their students.
- Provide continuous feedback and evaluation for students based on the development of individualized goals for performance that are specific, measurable, action-oriented, realistic and time-bound.
- Ensure appropriate accommodations are given to students during interim and state assessments.
- Create systems that enable good stewardship of resources, i.e. collaborative processes that leverage the strength of all team members, maintaining records of students' progress towards individualized goals, for communicating with families and building community with them through annual home visits and other school events, and for attending IEP meetings (as needed)
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- An M.A., Ed.M or Master's degree in relevant content area such as Literacy or Reading Specialist
- New York State Certification
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated success as a full-time classroom teacher
- Reading Recovery training is a strong plus
- A demonstrated aptitude for effective case management and a proven ability to manage complex systems of data
- Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, urban school setting preferred
- Evidence of excellence in teaching through continuous learning and data analysis
- Exceptional communication, organization and planning skills
- An ability to work collaboratively
- A commitment to single-sex education
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
How to apply
To apply, please visit: https://publicprep.cloud.talentedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=187. Please be sure to attach a resume and a cover letter including examples of how you have demonstrated continuous learning, supported students' individualized reading needs, and specific ways you have used student data to drive instructional decisions.
1695 Seward Avenue, Bronx, NY, 10473, US