An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Founding Physical Education Teacher (Available 2014-2015)
Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School
New York, NY
Overview: About Public Prep
The Public Prep Network is a nonprofit organization that develops single-sex elementary and middle public schools that pursue excellence through continuous learning and data-driven instruction. Our model is designed to empower each student to build strong character, demonstrate critical thinking, possess a core body of knowledge and be on a predictive path to earn a degree from a four-year university.
Our network is currently comprised of three all-girls charter schools: Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School, and Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School. We are elated to be launching Girls Prep Bronx Middle School and Boys Prep Elementary School in the fall of 2014.
Joining the Instructional Team at Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School
Public Prep seeks an Elementary Physical Education Teacher to join the founding team at Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School for the 2014-2015 school year. The Physical Education teacher reports to the Principal.
Public Prep Physical Education Teachers must consistently plan for and monitor the progress of each student. Physical Education Teachers meet regularly with grade level teachers, school leaders, and other specials teachers in order to develop the Boys Prep physical education curriculum, which is inclusive of New York State standards. Physical Education Teachers are responsible for creating robust and interdisciplinary units for students through this collaboration. Physical Education Teachers also work closely with School Aides, who provide non-academic support.
This is an opportunity to design a fitness program for young, urban boys that might include dance, martial arts, yoga, exercises that train self-regulation and collaborative skill, and other activities that integrate with Science units on health and body, math units on counting, and music for rhythm and dance. Fitness meets every day for every boy and is a core, not a secondary, subject.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Clearly defined processes and structures for planning, teaching and reflecting that include designing curriculum and assessments. It is particularly important that this teaching be both highly differentiated and also hold to common standards in the teaching of fine and gross motor skills, while instilling at an early level the value of fitness and health.
- Coaching tools and strategies that maximize the performance of students.
- Acceptance of continuous feedback and self-evaluation based on the development of individualized goals for performance that are specific, measurable, action-oriented, realistic and time-bound.
- Systems that enable good stewardship of resources, i.e. collaborative processes that leverage the strength of all team members, maintain records of students’ progress towards individualized goals, communicate with families and build community with them through annual home visits and other school events. Attendance at IEP meetings and ensuring appropriate accommodations are given to students during assessments as needed is part of the task.
- Other duties as assigned by Principal, which may include drop off and pick up, lunch duty, and other coverage as needed.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- An M.A., Ed.M or Master’s degree in relevant content area
- New York State Certification strongly preferred
- A minimum of 2 years of demonstrated success as a full-time Elementary School Physical Education Teacher preferred. Other levels will be considered.
- Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, urban school setting preferred
- Evidence of excellence in teaching through continuous learning and data analysis
- Exceptional organization and planning skills
- Superior communication skills
- An ability to work collaboratively
- A commitment to single-sex education
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus, but not required
How to apply
To apply, please visit: https://publicprep.cloud.talentedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=203. Please be sure to attach a resume and a cover letter including examples of lessons you have developed that promote active teamwork in the Physical Education classroom.
1695 Seward Avenue, Bronx, NY, 10473, US