An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Founding Part-Time Music Teacher (Available 2014-2015)
Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School
Overview: About Public Prep
The Public Prep Network is a nonprofit organization that develops single-sex elementary and middle public schools that pursue excellence through continuous learning and data-driven instruction. Our model is designed to empower each student to build strong character, demonstrate critical thinking, possess a core body of knowledge and be on a predictive path to earn a degree from a four-year university.
Our network is currently comprised of three all-girls charter schools: Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School, and Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School. We are elated to be launching Girls Prep Bronx Middle School and Boys Prep Elementary School in the fall of 2014.
Joining the Instructional Team at Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School
Public Prep seeks a Music Teacher to join the founding team at Boys Prep Bronx Elementary School for the 2014-2015 school year. The Music Teacher reports to the Principal.
The Music Teacher is a new position and will play a critical role in ensuring our students can express themselves in a variety of forms, gain exposure to and knowledge about the arts, and develop strong character. Music will be seen as the focal point of arts in this school for its capacity to teach structure, collaboration, creative expression; to integrate with other disciplines; and to expose boys to musical traditions, instruments, and literacy. Music program will include percussion, choral work, and rudimentary notation, as well as work with Science and Math to study, for instance, sound and proportion.
The Music Teacher will meet regularly with grade level teachers, school leaders, and other specials teachers in order to build on the existing Girls Prep arts curriculum, which is inclusive of New York State standards. The Music Teacher is responsible for creating robust and interdisciplinary units for students through this collaboration.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Clearly defined processes and structures for planning, teaching, assessing and reflecting that include designing curriculum and assessments that create a first-rate music program for young boys
- Strategies that maximize students’ self-confidence and expressiveness
- Self-evaluation as part of a new faculty team and design of appropriate measures of evaluation for students based on the development of individualized goals for performance that are specific, measurable, action-oriented, realistic and time-bound.
- Collaboration with all team members
- Maintaining records of students’ academic progress, behavior, and character development
- Communicating with families and building community with them through annual home visits and other school events
- Attending IEP meeting and ensuring appropriate accommodations are given to students during assessments as needed
- Completing duties as assigned by the Principal to support and strengthen the community such as breakfast, lunch, or dismissal duty.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- An M.A., Ed.M. or Master’s degree in music and/or relevant content area
- New York State Certification strongly preferred
- A minimum of 2 years of demonstrated success as a full-time elementary school music teacher (though music training with elementary school teaching in another discipline will be considered)
- Fluency with keyboard, and experience with vocal/choral work preferred
- Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, urban school setting preferred
- Evidence of excellence in teaching through continuous learning and data analysis
- Exceptional organization and planning skills
- Superior communication skills
- An ability to work collaboratively
- A commitment to single-sex education
How to apply
To apply, please visit: https://publicprep.cloud.talentedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=204. Please be sure to attach a resume and a cover letter including examples of how you have created an environment of continuous learning and personal growth in elementary school music and/or dance setting.
1695 Seward Avenue, Bronx, NY, 10473, US