DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, K-8 public charter school in East Harlem, is seeking a dynamic and engaging educator to serve as a 7th Grade Special Education Teacher for the 2014-2015 school year. DREAM Charter School's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship.
DREAM is part of the Harlem RBI family. Harlem RBI serves over 1,500 East Harlem youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time. Harlem RBI was recently recognized as one of the Best 50 Non-Profits to Work For in the country by The Nonprofit Times.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Teaching and Planning
- Collaborate in the creation of a new Common Core aligned 7th grade curriculum through backwards planning;
- Create modified assessments that will successfully measure academic progress;
- Assume responsibility for academic progress for all Special Education students within classroom;
- Abide by school-wide protocols for documenting all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, etc.;
- Analyze assessment data and daily data including exit ticket and Do Now to best inform instruction;
- Revise curriculum and teaching methods based on measurable data.
- Set and maintain high expectations for 100% of the scholars, 100% of the time (including tracking, vertical hand-raising, and sitting up at all times);
- Work with Social Work team to create individual behavior plans for select students;
- Abide by school-wide practices for behavior management and individual behavior plans;
- Take ownership over the classroom management with the mentality of "How can I improve my implementation of our systems, while always assuming the best in my scholars?"
School Culture Responsibilities
- Work with Middle School team to analyze data, revise practices, norm on team-wide initiatives, and discuss individual scholars with a solutions-oriented mindset;
- Create systems students for exceptional effort and growth, both academically and behaviorally;
- Regularly communicate scholars' progress towards goals with families;
- Attend and be an active participant in all professional development (school-wide or team-based) opportunities;
- Take part in weekly one-on-one feedback meetings with Academic Dean to discuss observation feedback, role-play pedagogical strategies, analyze data and/or refine curriculum map.
- Bachelor's degree required;
- Master's degree or higher preferred;
- Appropriate New York State certification in Special Education required;
- At least three years of Special Education teaching experience strongly preferred;
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community;
- A commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at risk of educational failure;
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.
Our Promise to DREAM Students
- High expectations for all students
- Individualized attention - two teachers in every classroom
- 12-month school year, including six-week summer program (all teachers have a standard summer break)
- Extended school day
- Focus on physical education, nutrition and health
- Arts, music and dance for all students
Our Promise to DREAM Teachers
- High-quality professional development and support
- Individualized coaching, weekly trainings and regular feedback
- Weekly grade team meetings to analyze data, plan instruction, and share best practices
- Collaborative environment with caring, dedicated and driven colleagues
- Co-teaching in every classroom
- Colleagues who are continuously working together to improve their practice
- Supportive, accessible leadership team
- Data driven organization
- Systems, practices and beliefs that drive student achievement
For more information, visit DREAM Charter School on the web at http:www.dreamschoolnyc.org.
How to apply
Join our DREAM Team: To apply, please send a resume and cover letter email@example.com.Please put "7th Grade Special Education Teacher" in the subject lineand please let us know how you heard of this opportunity. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.