WHO WE ARE:
FACES SF (Family and Child Empowerment Services) provides high-quality child care for low-income families; job support, training, and placement for adults; and comprehensive family support services and referrals. Our mission is to serve the needs and well-being of San Francisco’s young children and empower families to become self-sufficient. This internship will be a wonderful real life, rich and hands on learning experience for anyone wanting to gain experience and BBS hours toward your licensure! In this position, you will be exposed to a range of issues related to child development, poverty, parenting, grief and trauma, domestic violence, and substance abuse. We are looking for individuals who are enthusiastic about reaching out and supporting low-income families, and have the ability to form good working relationships with them. A non-judgmental attitude when working with clients is essential. A 12-month minimum commitment and 12 hours per week required. Availability in the afternoon until 6pm preferred. Stipend Offered
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Family Support Therapist Intern will be an important part of our Family Support Program located at our Bayview Center for toddlers, preschoolers and grade schoolers. Our family support services aim to empower low-income families and give voice to their needs while providing counseling and linkage to a range of social services.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Collaborate with clients in assessing their needs, including: conducting intake assessments and developing action plans toward meeting client goals
- Provide one-on-one and/or group counseling to children and parents (primarily from our school age program)
- Make appropriate referrals to community resources, facilitating linkage to services and follow-up with client paperwork
- Assist Family Support team with the coordination and facilitation of outreach activities, such as parent breakfasts, and monthly parent workshops/events
- Provide family advocacy, guidance, and support as appropriate and needed
- Collaborate with Family Support team, FACES SF programs and community agencies to ensure continuity of care
- Document client contact, action plans, and summary of client progress
- Meet weekly for supervision to discuss client activities, and any relevant issues
WHAT WE’D LOVE TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME!
- Masters degree in Social work, Psychology or related field from an accredited college or university
- Familiarity of issues facing low-income families (e.g. substance use, mental health, homelessness, domestic and other forms of violence, child abuse, grief & trauma, housing, employment, parenting needs, etc.)
- Familiarity of community resources
- Committed to working with a diverse population
- Demonstrated communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of an interdisciplinary team as well as ability to work independently, demonstrating strong initiative and enthusiasm
- Ability to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Computer proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Professionalism, punctuality, flexibility, self-motivation and reliability are essential
- Able and willing to travel locally for job related duties as needed
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs
- Position subject to Live Scan Fingerprinting through the California Department of Justice, TB test, and physical exam
Please email your cover letter and resume to Helen Chuong, MFT at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be accepted.
FACES SF is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, legal domicile status, veteran status, disability or AIDS/HIV status or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law.
1101 Masonic, San Francisco, CA, 94117, US