Home Visitor/Family Advocate
Reports to: Social Services Coordinator
Department: Children & Family Services
Location: Concord, CA
Travel: Local travel may be required
Benefits: Medical and Dental benefits on the first of the month following 90 days of employment, two weeks vacation each year for the first five years.
The Children and Family Services programs include Head Start, Early Head Start, State Pre-Kindergarten, Home Based Services, and Developmental Play Groups. Over 900 children birth through kindergarten entry and 32 expectant parents and their families receive child development and comprehensive family services through the Unity Council. The programs are diverse, multilingual, developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and individualized for each child and family services are provided in four centers and two home based programs throughout Oakland.
Beginning in September 2013, the Unity Council will begin to offer these same services to the Monument Corridor neighborhood in Concord, CA
The Unity Council is a non-profit community development corporation committed to helping families and individuals build wealth and assets through comprehensive programs of sustainable economic, social and neighborhood development in Oakland and the East Bay. The Unity Council and its affiliates employ more than 250 culturally and ethnically diverse people in a variety of program lines, ranging from early childhood education to jobs placement to low-income senior housing.
- Provide comprehensive services to pregnant women, infants, toddlers, and families through home visits, socializations, child screens, referrals and child/family goal setting
- Assist pregnant women to access prenatal care, learn about fetal development and growth, prepare for delivery and obtain postpartum care
- Assist parents in planning and implementing activities that promote bonding, attachment and sustained positive parenting
- Responsible for assembling child files in accordance with agency policies
- Assist with recruitment and enrollment of children and families for the EHS Program
- BA in Sociology, Social Welfare, Early Childhood Education or related field preferred;
- Minimum of one year experience working with low-income children and families;
- Bilingual Spanish/English required;
- 3-6 infant/toddler units required- will consider candidates that are willing to complete 6 infant units in the first year of hire of hire.
- Ability to lift children, up to 40lbs, and get up and down from the floor without injury.
- Awareness of safe lifting techniques for lifting children, supplies and furnishings and commitment to using preventive health measures in the classroom to prevent the spread of disease.
- Caring, compassionate approach to working with children and families;
- Ability to teach others the importance of play based curriculum;
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural team;
- Valid California Driver's license, good driving record (DMV check will be conducted); access to a car to use at work daily, and proof of automobile insurance;
Requirements Physical exam, TB test, background/fingerprint clearance
*Please include a copy of non-official college transcript*
The Unity Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Send resume, and copy of unofficial transcripts
Attention: Human Resources Department
1900 Fruitvale Avenue, Suite 2A
Oakland, CA 94601
Because of the volume of anticipated responses, only those applicants who meet the required qualifications will be contacted for an interview.
Human Resources Department