After over 15 years of working as an entirely volunteer organization, NYCCGC is hiring its first-ever executive director to manage its fundraising and community organizing efforts. This position will begin as a 6-month, 20-hour per week paid interim position and may turn into full-time permanent position depending on the success of fundraising and other efforts.
The New York City Community Garden Coalition (NYCCGC) works to promote the preservation, creation, and empowerment of community gardens through education, advocacy, and grassroots organizing. We are looking for a director who supports this mission and can build the capacity of this organization to fulfill its goals.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize and consolidate core administrative function for the coalition.
- Develop and implement a fundraising plan that includes foundations, government, major donors, grassroots fundraising, and fundraising events.
- Work to achieve the goals of the coalition through communication, collaboration, and coordination with Board Directors and community gardeners.
- Provide support and consultation to NYCCGC Board Directors to ensure that key responsibilities are met, including:
- Development, implementation, and maintenance of organization policies and strategies;
- Compliance with regulations;
- Development of sound fiscal management and reporting practices;
- Ensure funding applications, reports, compliance plans, asset management reports and contracts are administered and monitored appropriately;
- Maintenance of communications content;
- Develop and maintain dialogue and relationships with community leaders, political entities, companion organizations, governmental agencies and other stakeholders in order to effectively meet the goals of the organization;
- Support the activities of the standing committees and board policies
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Knowledge of community gardens and city and state governmental structures.
- Successful experience raising funds for social justice organizations and good understanding of budgeting methods and procedures.
- Excellent communication skills at all levels, be an effective role model and be able to plan and collaborate with others.
- Ability to “lead from behind” and provide the support needed to enable the voices and images of community gardeners to express the vision and priorities of the coalition.
- Experience in grassroots community organizing, especially leadership development and base-building.
- Fluency in Microsoft applications (Word, PowerPoint, etc.), comfort with using databases, and experience using other online applications such as WordPress and MadMimi.
- Knowledge of the social justice activist terrain in New York City and the commitment to working collaboratively with a diversity of people and organizations.
- Exhibit professionalism, good judgment and must be flexible to work outside normal work hours to meet the needs of the position and the organization
- Fluency in Spanish is a (big) plus
The New York City Community Garden Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply
The New York City Community Garden Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 6, 2013.