(Search reopened Feb. 3, 2014)
Room to Grow seeks an Executive Director to oversee the organization’s founding site in New York. This position offers a tremendous opportunity for a dynamic, successful nonprofit leader.
Room to Grow provides parents raising babies in poverty with one-on-one parenting support and essential baby items throughout their children’s first three years of life. Parents expecting a baby are referred to Room to Grow by selected prenatal programs assisting low-income families. Upon their referral, parents visit Room to Grow’s warm and inviting space once every three months from just before the birth of the baby until their child turns three. During their one-on-one appointments with our staff social workers, typically lasting two hours, parents receive developmental information, customized support, and all of the needed baby items to ensure a healthy and secure start for their child.
Room to Grow was founded in New York in 1998. The organization expanded to serve families in Boston in 2005. Since the organization’s founding, thousands of families have made visits to our sites, meeting with their social workers every three months and receiving critical support and information to encourage and promote their children’s healthy development. At the same time, we have distributed over $1 million worth of new and nearly-new baby items to provide children with a safe and enriched environment in which to grow, learn, and thrive. In New York, Room to Grow annually serves nearly 400 children and their families in its center-based program and through neighborhood-based workshops.
The Executive Director will assume responsibility for the day-to-day operations and development of Room to Grow’s New York operation, reporting to the organization’s national CEO who is based in Boston. The New York location is currently staffed with seven employess, four of whom are direct reports. The organization is supported locally by a New York Advisory Board. Room to Grow is in its third year of a five-year strategic plan that articulates a plan for substantial growth in New York and Boston and replication to additional cities. Room to Grow’s Executive Director in New York will play an important role leading the organization’s efforts to achieve these ambitious growth plans.
The Executive Director has overall responsibility for:
- Raising funds to meet New York’s growing annual budget of approximately $1.2 million in financial contributions, including nearly $200,000 of in-kind support
- Identifying and cultivating individual, foundation, and corporate donors and expanding donor base
- Overseeing and guiding the research and writing of grant proposals, annual solicitations, and other fundraising initiatives by the development staff
- Developing and maintaining relationships with all constituencies (including donors, clients, volunteers, committees, community organizations, the New York Advisory Board and National Board of Directors)
- Overseeing several fundraising and cultivation events annually, including an annual gala for 400 guests
- Ensuring the acquisition of in-kind corporate and individual contributions
- Developing opportunities to raise the organization’s profile through ongoing networking, cultivation of media contacts, interaction with community and business leaders, corporate and foundation representatives and academic leaders
- Identifying and cultivating local public relations and press opportunities
- Ensuring that printed and online marketing materials are effective and up-to-date
- In collaboration with national and local staff, creating and monitoring effective social media strategy for the organization
- Overseeing and managing all aspects of day-to-day operations (including oversight of office administration and correspondence, accounting, banking, tax filings, insurance policies, human resource issues)
- Overseeing organization’s day-to-day programs and initiatives and assisting in development of new programs
- Hiring, supervising and supporting staff including conducting annual performance evaluations and ensuring sound human resource practices are in place
- Ensuring ongoing day-to-day program remains consistent with the organization’s mission, philosophy, objectives and overall strategic vision
- Ensuring inventory is maintained at all times through ongoing in-kind contributions
- Ensuring the quality of the program “boutique” space, ensuring that it reflects the values of the organization to clients and guests and remains welcoming, well-organized and neat
- Overseeing a robust volunteer program and the activities of leadership committees
- Maintaining a climate that attracts and motivates a diverse staff of quality people
Qualifications – The successful candidate will offer the following:
- Minimum of seven years experience in senior leadership positions
- Significant fundraising and relationship-building experience
- Knowledge of New York philanthropy
- Proven track record in nonprofit management
- Exceptional communications, strategic planning and operational skills
- Knowledge of, and capacity to champion the needs of disenfranchised individuals
- High energy; persuasive and creative thinking
- Passion for early childhood and the mission of Room to Grow
Position begins immediately. Additional information is available at www.roomtogrow.org.
How to apply
Please send cover letter and resume with salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org (attached files only in Microsoft Word). Applications will be kept strictly confidential. Only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted by Room to Grow’s executive search consultant. No phone inquiries please. Room to Grow is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
54 West 21st Street, Suit 401, New York, NY, 10010, US