Background: The Nantucket AIDS Network (NAN) was founded in 1989 at the peak of the AIDS crisis in North America. In 2002, NAN expanded its mission to include the leading public health concern, adding testing and case management services related to Hepatitis C and in 2004 expanded its youth education programs. In 2011, the results of a study on Nantucket showed that while there were extensive human services available to support the health and wellness of residents and visitors, there was no one place to go to learn what those services were or how to access them. At the same time, NAN was looking at how to evolve as the advancements in treatment for HIV/AIDS had been changing the needs of clients. For over two decades, NAN's key role was to connect individuals and families, who were dealing with complex life issues, to a wide-range of services to improve their quality of life. In 2013, with the support of community leaders, access nantucket was launched in order to apply its core competencies of "systems of care" and "case management" to a broader need, by becoming the central access point for all Nantucket human services information and referrals. The Mission was expanded and the organization's name changed accordingly to access nantucket.
The Organization: access nantucket fulfills its mission through a combination of programs and services, including case management for persons living with HIV/AIDS and/or Hepatitis C; testing, counseling and risk reduction for HIV, hepatitis and other sexually transmitted infections; human service information and referrals; and youth and community education and trainings. The agency's staff team includes two program managers, an administrative manager plus the executive director and a collection of committed volunteers. access nantucket is guided by a talented and passionate Board of Directors that meets regularly. access nantucket's financial standing is stable with a budget of $300K-$400K. A strategic plan was completed in December 2013 and will require renewal after the new executive director is hired.
The Opportunity: Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director has overall responsibility for executing access nantucket's Mission in accordance with the organizations Core Values, Strategic Plan and Policies.
Our next Executive Director will be charged with:
- Garnering funding and resources for the growth of access nantucket and our continued efforts to ensure our community is connected to the critical information and care needed to live healthier lives.
- Leading and representing the organization in pursuing the unfinished work of establishing access nantucket as the place to go to get connected to care in our community, with an aim to become a model for other communities.
- Passionately conveying the importance of what we do to a diverse set of audiences.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Program Development and Administration
- Assure that the organization maintains its team structure and dynamic strategic planning process to achieve its mission, and makes progress toward it in a timely and consistent way.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization's work.
- Maintain official records and documents, ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Directly supervise all programs and services, to include comprehensive testing and counseling, case management, human service information & referral, community education, training & coordination (Mass In Motion, Peers Promoting Action & Awareness, High Risk Population Risk Reduction)
Internal Management and Operations
- Oversee and manage all personnel matters, to include recruitment, employment, training, supervision, succession planning and release of all staff
- Ensure that position summaries are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- Ensure adherence with all state and federal personnel, clinical and administrative standards & laws
- Encourage on-going staff development and education
- Maintain a work environment which attracts, retains and motivates a diverse staff of top quality individuals.
- Finance & Legal
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices
- Work with staff and board teams in preparing budgets and see that organization operates within budget guidelines
- Work with Board of Directors to ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operation as well as expansion
- Supervise the care and maintenance of all agency owned and managed property
- Conduct official correspondence of the organization and jointly with designated officers execute legal documents
Fundraising and Development
- Cultivate and maintain influential relationships with current, past and potential donors
- Create and manage a sustainable development model to support all aspects of operations and growth
- Serve as the Chief Development Officer for the organization
External Relations and Communications
- Work with marketing team to deepen and refine all aspects of communications, from online presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations and the general public
- Establish and maintain sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations; use relationships to garner new opportunities for organization
- Co-facilitate the Nantucket Healthy Community Collaborative human service group
Board of Directors
- Report regularly to the Board on general operations, services, personnel and finances
- Evaluate organizational needs and present recommendations to the Board
- Work with the Board Chair to develop meeting agendas and identify action items
- Work with Board Planner to develop and carry out strategic planning process
- Work closely with the Board and sub-teams to develop and carry out strategies, implementation and reporting of goals for all designated areas.
Qualifications: The ED will be thoroughly committed to access nantucket's mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Advanced degree, with at least 5 years of senior management experience; proven track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance and outcomes based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Able to provide non-biased, non-judgmental services to clients, while upholding client confidentiality
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to organizational planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
How to apply
To Apply: Submit resume or CV along with a cover letter limited to 1 ½ pages articulating how you can make a difference by advancing the mission of access nantucket to email@example.com.
35 Old South Rd., Nantucket, MA, 02554, US