The Executive Director manages the day-to-day operations of our bar association & related charitable foundation. As the leader of two busy organizations aided by one additional staff member, a volunteer board of directors and a network of volunteers, the Executive Director is substantially involved in every aspect of our programming, event planning, community services, fundraising initiatives and beyond.
The position requires a genuine dedication to our work and the constituencies we serve, a willingness to be an active, engaged participant in the logistical and prepatory work that makes all of our programming and events possible and an understanding of both the LGBT legal and broader LGBT community.
This position requires availability on nights and weekends as needed and is an exempt position not eligible for overtime compensation.
Note: Our new office is located in the Centre for Social Innovation, an exciting new space in the Starrett-Lehigh Building in West Chelsea.
- Develop and maintain an appropriate budget; oversee the authorized and proper expenditure of funds; supervise the maintenance of financial records; and assure that all funds, physical assets, and other property of the organization are appropriately safeguarded and administered, in accordance with policies set by the Board of Directors.
- Supervise and evaluate the organization’s staff members and volunteers.
- Collaborate with organization’s bookkeeper and accountant to ensure proper financial reporting and timely, accurate tax filings and reports.
- Assume primary responsibility, with the assistance of our additional staff member, for membership database and record management.
- Represent the organization before a range of constituencies including our members, donors, community members accessing our services, organizational partners, public officials and beyond through regular attendance at community events and regular outreach to such constituencies.
- Arrange and attend Board meetings, prepare and distribute Board meeting material and ensure effective recordkeeping relating to same.
Program/Event Organization & Execution
- Oversee the operation and growth of several pro bono legal clinics, including coordination and scheduling of all volunteers, developing and executing related continuing legal education (“CLE”) training programs and maintaining and organizing clinic resources.
- Spearhead and organize our regular continuing legal education programs and assume primary responsibility for compliance with CLE rules governing accredited providers.
- Organize and assist with our regular networking events and programming.
- Manage the preparation, completion and distribution of our monthly publication, Lesbian/Gay Law Notes, and related subscription database. Develop strategy for future publication growth across a range of platforms.
- Oversee and support the activities of the bar association’s various committees, including collaboration on various events/programming, ensure efficient committee operation and identify opportunities for committees to participate in organizational activities.
- Direct the operation of our attorney referral service.
- Serve as lead fundraiser/development officer for the organization including assuming responsibility, in collaboration with the Board of Directors, for individual and institutional giving.
- Organize and execute all fundraising events including our annual dinner and other periodic fundraising events.
- Cultivate new funding relationships and prospects.
- Write grant proposals.
- Direct the communications and marketing initiatives of the organization including all membership communications, event communications, and organizational policy statements and initiatives.
- Execute and enhance the organization’s social media strategy with primary responsibility for substance of social media content and development.
- Oversee all communications with membership and members of the public.
- Ensure the timely updating of organization’s website, regularly add content and develop strategy for leveraging website content in support of membership growth, fundraising initiatives and ongoing programs.
Strategic Planning / Advocacy
- Recommend strategies for expansion of existing programs and the creation of new ones that will fill a need within the community and attract new donors, while increasing awareness and reputation of the organization’s brand.
- Assist with development of organization’s long-term strategic plan.
- Ensure that all duties are performed through processes and systems that will be accessible and transparent to future staff members and aid the organization in transition planning.
- Develop and execute, in consultation with Board of Directors, the organization’s amicus and advocacy initiatives.
- J.D. with minimum of 3 years of practice experience
- Detail oriented, ability to perform well under deadlines and able to work independently and effectively in a small office environment
- Ability to manage multiple programs and initiatives with a willingness to carry out the assortment of associated administrative tasks needed for their success
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Self-motivated, effective problem-solver and a team player willing to be flexible to achieve the aims of the organization’s mission
- Proficiency with Mac OS operating system and Microsoft Excel. Familiarity with or ability to learn Bento (database program for Macs), WordPress, Constant Contact (e-mail/event marketing service) and a range of social media sites including LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
- Prior experience managing staff/volunteers strongly preferred
- Track record of fundraising success with individuals and/or institutional donors and grant writing experience strongly preferred
- Commitment to the promotion and advancement of issues affecting the lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender community.
How to apply
Please follow the below directions carefully. Submissions that do not conform to the directions will not be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolliing basis.
E-mail the following items, as one combined pdf attachment, firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject header “ED Search”:
– Cover letter
– Two references
– Salary requirements
Absolutely no phone calls or office visits. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled. Only candidates who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
601 West 26th Street, Suite 325-20, New York, NY, 10001, US