EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Executive Director
Hours: Full time, salaried, exempt position
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical, vacation sick leave, IRA, generous paid holidays per MSHI policies
Overview of Position:
The Executive Director leads the Mount St. Helens Institute in connecting people to stewardship, science and appreciation of volcanic landscapes. He or she is responsible for coordinating overall organizational management, strategy and fundraising. The ongoing development of the Mount St. Helens Science and Learning Center at Coldwater Lake and associated Institute programs, including a new summer camp program, is a significant new initiative for the Institute and will require active, strategic fundraising and management attention from the ED.
1. Fundraising: Oversees fundraising planning and implementation, including building donor base, identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, overseeing, writing and submitting proposals and administrating fundraising records and documentation.
2. Program, Product and Service Delivery: Oversees design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of programs, products and services.
3. Financial, Tax, Risk, and Facilities Management: Creates and recommends annual budget for Board approval and prudently manages organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations. Manages payroll and staff benefits.
4. Human Resources: Effectively manage the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations. Manages staff, assigns duties and supervises.
5. Board Administration: Support operations and administration of the Board by advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff and supporting Board’s evaluation of Executive Director.
6. Community and Public Relations: Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products, and services are regularly and consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders. Support MSHI outreach efforts through collaboration with other organizations, schools and non-profits.
Accountability: The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors
1. 2 years experience in non-profit management, preferably as a program or volunteer director or executive director, or significant experience in related field
2. Experience in providing education and volunteer programs, ensuring quality and depth, and supporting staff in program development and implementation
3. Strong management and supervisory skills
4. Strong, proven fundraising experience, including individual donor cultivation and stewardship; capital campaign experience preferred
5. Demonstrated leadership ability in strategic planning and board management and staff direction
6. Excellent oral and written communication skills, and administrative capabilities
7. Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s preferred
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis, however preference will be given to application received by April 30. Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with the subject line: “Mount St Helens Institute Executive Director Search"