Mission: The Poughkeepsie Farm Project is a non-profit organization that works toward a just and sustainable food system in the Mid-Hudson Valley by operating a member-supported farm, providing education about food and farming, and improving access to healthy locally-grown food.
The Poughkeepsie Farm Project is in search of a strategic and visionary leader who has a passion for, and demonstrated commitment to, farming and food justice issues, with the ability to be resourceful, set clear priorities, and guide investment in people and systems while aligning organizational resources and commitments. The new Executive Director is a results-oriented problem-solver who is entrepreneurial and driven but also flexible, highly collaborative, and open to the input and thoughts of others.
Reports to: Board of Directors as represented by Chair, Board of Directors
- Drive development of diverse and sustainable funding streams, including fee-for-service programs, events and philanthropic support, including grants, donations and fund drives; ensure a productive, respectful, donor-centered recognition and stewardship program that nurtures ongoing support;
- Provide collaborative leadership and mentorship to a passionate and committed staff focused on farm/food education and food justice, ensuring each staff member has clarity about the goals of his/her role, the guidance and support to meet them, and an understanding of how they connect to the work of others and the overall mission of the PFP;
- Establish mission based priorities, guided by the Board; maintain and promote a welcoming, inclusive, and transparent organizational culture;
- Ensure programmatic success by translating strategic plans into operational benchmarks/goals;
- Assess current programming and develop new programming with a particular emphasis on ecological community-based agriculture, food justice, and the food system;
- Act as the public spokesperson for the PFP in the community, and beyond;
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the PFP’s Board of Directors to ensure open communication about goals and expectations as well as the measurement and impact of financial and programmatic performance
- Ability to review and interpret and communicate financial results to the board, and to closely manage activities to ensure on-budget performance;
- Long term (capital) and annual financial planning and budgeting;
- Regular financial reporting to the board (actual expenses & revenues vs. projected).
- A successful track record of significant professional achievement in an innovative non-profit or social enterprise environment preferably in the areas of farming or food justice; previous board management experience preferred;
- Extensive experience in fundraising; the ideal candidate has built a high-performing fundraising operation that increases the recurrence and predictability of contributions, as well as long-term engagement of both institutional and individual donors;
- Exceptional relationship-building skills, with the ability to work with diverse groups, including major funders, community organizations, businesses, and volunteers;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong financial skills with demonstrated experience in annual and capital budget planning and management;
- Sensitivity to the needs of diverse racial and ethnic populations;
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Please visit the Poughkeepsie Farm Project website for further information at www.farmproject.org
To apply, send a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; preference will be given to those candidates who apply by Feb. 21, 2013. Three references are required.