In the summer of 2012, a group of the major business and non-profit interests in the Coney Island district came together to form the Alliance for Coney Island (the “Alliance”). A 501(c)3 organization, the Alliance was formed with a mission to continue the transformation of Coney Island into a year-round, world-class recreational destination by the sea. Since Hurricane Sandy struck Coney Island in October 2012, the Alliance has also served as the lead agency for a cooperative relief and recovery initiative called #ConeyRecovers.
The Alliance is now ready to employ its first permanent Executive Director (“ED”). The ED will be responsible for guiding the Alliance into its second full year of programs, for providing strategic direction as the Alliance grows its membership and impact, and for increasing the capacity of the organization by hiring additional staff and seeking grant funding.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director must be a dynamic leader and a self-starter who shares the Board’s commitment and vision of the opportunity to further the revitalization of this unique neighborhood. This leadership position is an opportunity for a high-energy, entrepreneurial self-starter to play a transformative role in the future fabric of New York City. The ED will be the face of the Alliance and serve as the lead spokesperson, fundraiser, strategic planner, and chief executive managing the organization and all of its programming.
The ED should have experience in marketing, programming, event production, fundraising, and non-profit management. A successful candidate will have a good understanding and appreciation for the unique challenges and opportunities facing the Coney Island business community and its surrounding residential neighborhood. The ED will work closely with the Board of Directors to advance the Mission of the Alliance, and will execute on the Alliance’s strategies and programs. The ED will build relationships with New York City government agencies, local community-based organizations, local elected officials, and other partners.
The ED will have a great appreciation for the history, potential, and quirkiness of Coney Island. There’s no place like it.
• Lead and represent the Alliance, serving as its main face, working with the Board of Directors and staff to grow the capacity and impact of the organization.
• Manage and oversee all of the day-to-day operations of the Alliance.
• Direct and oversee all external relations, communications, marketing, and branding initiatives, as well as overseeing the production of external content for the Alliance website and its other public materials.
• Design and implement fundraising and membership development operations, working closely with the Board of Directors and the Membership Committee.
• Develop and manage relationships with local community stakeholders, creating cross-sector partnerships to further the goals of the Alliance.
• Develop and implement overall policies, as well as daily operational goals and objectives for the management of the Alliance.
• Direct external relations and communications focusing on marketing, and public relations efforts including general promotions and brand management by overseeing the website, publications, and program literature.
• Manage fundraising operations and work closely with the Board on all public initiatives taken on behalf of the Alliance.
• Develop and manage strong relationships with the local community and stakeholders.
• Increase the visibility and understanding of the work and mission of the Alliance.
• Develop new effective partnerships with corporations, foundations, networks and individuals to build the capacity and impact of the Alliance and its programming.
• Implement and oversee the growth and strategic management of the organization.
• Monitor the impact and effectiveness of the Alliance.
• Develop and oversee annual budget in collaboration with the Board.
• Provide regular reports to the Board as well as planning for and administering meetings of the Directors and of Board committees.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline required.
• Executive level experience in operational management in the private, government, or nonprofit sector with significant administration, financial and fundraising responsibilities.
• Knowledge of New York City government and experience in developing relationships with key government agencies and individuals.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to be a strong, team-oriented colleague in a programmatic environment; skilled manager and leader of staff at all levels.
• Power and presence to advocate successfully on behalf of the organization in the public and private sectors.
• Solid track record of fundraising among major donors, foundations, corporations, and sponsors.
• Commitment to the mission and goals of the Alliance.
• Self-starter with a bright and diplomatic attitude, strong issue resolution skills and advanced interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Ability to work independently, prioritizing workflow to meet critical deadlines with attention to detail.
• Strong financial analysis and management skills.
• Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills.
How to apply
To apply, please email résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
1000 Surf Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 11224, US