TENNESSEE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT AND CONSERVATION
Division of Natural Areas
7th Floor L&C Tower
401 Church Street
Nashville, Tennessee 37243
Phone: (615) 532-0431
Fax: (615) 532-0046
Announcement of a Forthcoming Position
TITLE: Environmental Specialist 3 (Conservation Biologist/Information Specialist) START DATE: Winter 2013 MONTHLY RATE: The salary is $2,819 to $4,510 per month plus state benefits package.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, Division of Natural Areas anticipates hiring a working level full-time Environmental Specialist 3 to support rare species data management and environmental review of projects to evaluate potential impacts to rare species, exemplary natural communities, and conservation lands.
Minimum requirements for the Environmental Specialist 3 position are posted at
[Copy and paste into your internet browser]
The above link provides a variety of possible work activities for the Environmental Specialist 3 job classification. Specifically, this posting is for a Conservation Biologist/Information Specialist who will directly report to the Natural Heritage Program manager. The successful candidate will assist the program in rare species and conservation database management, performing written environmental reviews related to rare species and conservation sites, rare species data entry, information requests, creation of maps, use of conservation data to guide the division’s natural area selection process, and field assessments for rare species and significant ecological sites. The position will be stationed in Nashville, Tennessee.
In addition to the minimum requirements, the successful candidate will possess:
* Working knowledge of ecological concepts of Tennessee’s fauna, flora, and/or natural communities,
* Familiarity with conservation issues in Tennessee or the region,
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills,
* Familiarity with ArcMap GIS software, and/or database management, and GPS,
* Ability to troubleshoot GIS or database problems,
* Excellent attention to detail,
* Ability to conduct field work and site assessments sometimes in difficult terrain,
* Experience conducting environmental reviews, and
* Experience with Oracle and SQL desired as is knowledge of NatureServe methodology.
APPLICATION: The position will officially be open for applications on or about January 23, 2013 and close February 6, 2013. *Between these dates candidates must complete an online state application for the Environmental Specialist 3 position. To begin the process, visit http://agency.governmentjobs.