Trees New York (TreesNY) is an environmental nonprofit organization. Our mission is to plant, preserve and protect New York City's urban forest through education, active citizen participation and advocacy. TreesNY was founded in the 1970's as a volunteer response to New York City's devastating cutbacks in forestry and tree-related community services. www.treesny.org.
Job Title: Environmental Educator: Young Urban Forester Summer Internship Program
Job Location: Queens, Manhattan and South Bronx
Schedule: April 15, 2013 - September 15, 2013 (30-40 hours per week)
*some flexibility with schedule (April 15, 2013-May 15, 2013)
Pay Rate: $15/hour
TreesNY is seeking a seasonal Environmental Educator to lead our Young Urban Forester summer internship program. The program introduces participants to Urban Forestry conservation, restoration and planning and environmental careers. Participants complete several hands-on projects including tree stewardship projects, tree inventory and data collection. Additonal topics include urban agriculture, green infrastructure, air and water quality.
Assist in the instruction of urban forestry related topics to 15 high school students and 15 young adults.
- Implement tree stewardship and maintenance projects
- Assist with a tree inventory and site assessment projects
- Track participants' progress, hours and administrate paperwork such as time sheets
- Serve as support personnel for special projects
- Other general office and clerical duties as needed
Experience in youth environmental education
- Working towards a degree in Biology, Environmental Studies, Urban Studies, Urban Planning, Geography or Education
- Experience with Microsoft Office. Experience with ArcGIS a plus.
How to apply
Nelson Villarrubia, Deputy Director