Position Title: Entrepreneurs 1 (9th Grade) Program Manager
Founded in 1999, BUILD's mission is to use entrepreneurship to excite and propel disengaged, low-income students through high school to college success. We believe that the power of student ideas in action drives youth to reach their fullest potential in school and beyond. Our four-year high school program offers a unique blend of entrepreneurship, academics, and personal support that attracts and motivates many students who are otherwise at high risk of failing classes and dropping out of high school.
Our students develop their own business ideas, write business plans, pitch to funders, and launch real businesses. This real-world business experience makes school relevant and motivates them to succeed. To help them become college-eligible, students also receive individualized academic support and advising for their school-work and college planning.
BUILD currently serves over 900 high school students at programs located in Redwood City and Oakland, CA; Washington DC; and Boston, MA. For more information about BUILD, see: www.build.org.
Reporting to the East Oakland or Peninsula Site Director, the Entrepreneurs 1 Program Manager (E1PM) is responsible for managing the first-year entrepreneurship program, an academic elective for 9th graders taught in partner high schools. S/he will ensure a positive student experience and that students acquire the requisite academic, life, and entrepreneurial skills through their participation in the E1 program by training and managing BUILD teachers and mentors, ensuring delivery of E1 curriculum to meet benchmarks, and maintaining strong relationships with partner high schools.
- Recruit and manage four teachers, observing classes and mentor sessions regularly to provide consistent feedback and support, including problem-solving student issues and general classroom concerns
- Support teachers in curriculum implementation and adjustments
- Manage and promote the professional development of a full-time E1 Program Assistant
- Plan and implement recruiting and retention strategies to ensure 9th grade classes are full throughout the school year
- Plan and execute all annual events, such as the Annual Youth Business Plan Competition
- Collect and analyze data and make program recommendations for current and future program years
- ·Help ensure student matriculation into the second year of the 4-year BUILD program
- Manage E1 program budget
- Develop and maintain relationships with 100-120 E1 students at 4 partner schools by demonstrating caring, respect, and high expectations
- Conduct regular one on one check-ins with students to evaluate their progress and provide support
- Cultivate relationships and communicate regularly with school, family, and community stakeholders to ensure individual student success and strong school partnerships
- Recruit, train and maintain relationships with mentors and other volunteers using a customer service approach
- Work alongside E1 Program Managers across sites to share best practices, maintain consistency of outcomes, and suggest program improvements
- Support colleagues, students, and programming across site program areas, including participation in the execution of major events, such as college tours and Sales Bazaars
- ·Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in education, nonprofit management, business, or a related field
- ·Minimum 2 years teaching experience required. Experience teaching under-resourced youth/in an underperforming school preferred.
- ·Spanish fluency a plus
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
- ·Initiative—proactively creates and/or follows through on new ideas and strategies
- ·Managing Performance—take responsibility for one's employees' performance by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly
- ·Quantitative Analysis—reviews quantitative data sets in order to recognize patterns, identify additional information or data needed, and draw conclusions
- ·Communication—utilizes verbal and written skills to effectively communicate a message particular to an audience and to meet relevant goals, using clear, concise, appropriate, and grammatically correct language
- ·Relationship-Building/Management—utilizes effective techniques to reach mutually beneficial goals over time
- ·Problem Solving—identifies and/or anticipates a problem, analyzes the situation, offers an appropriate range of recommended solutions, and when appropriate, decides on and implements course of action
- ·Strategic Thinking—takes into account and analyzes various points of view and pieces of data to form a perspective appropriate to a particular context
BUILD offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to all full-time employees, including medical, dental, vision and a 403(b) plan. In addition, BUILD employees are eligible for paid vacation, sick time, 10+ paid holidays per year, a sabbatical program and a flexible work environment.
- ·Location: East Oakland or Redwood City
- ·Frequent travel between local sites is required so employees must have their own vehicle for transportation (valid proof of insurance required). Mileage for work-related travel beyond the normal commute will be reimbursed.
- ·Occasional extended travel with students is required during the year for college visits and other activities
- ·Typical site operation hours are Monday – Thursday, approximately 10am – 7pm; Friday's office time is flexible and can be earlier. Additional evening and weekend hours are also required to fulfill the duties of this position.
- ·Full Time/Exempt
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please include how you learned about this position and your salary requirements.
Please be advised that you will receive an automated acknowledgement of your application. We will only contact applicants who are selected for an interview. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.