Iridescent is a science education nonprofit with a mission to inspire and equip underserved children to imagine and invent. We work closely with scientists and engineers to bring cutting edge science and engineering to underserved groups. We are deeply committed to these communities and work hard to build long lasting support infrastructures. We invite parents to come and learn alongside their children in our Family Science Courses.
The Engineers as Teachers instructor will play a very strategic role that has deep roots in a high need community but is looking to make global impact through leveraging our technology tools (STEM apps and Curiosity Machine).
Iridescent has been in operation for 7 years, reaching more than 22,000 participants globally. We have a very clear sense of what works and doesn’t and where we are headed. We are at a very crucial point in our growth and are looking for a courageous and visionary leader. The graph below shows our history and projected growth (in terms of numbers).
The Engineers as Teachers Instructor will be responsible for executing on the following:
- Recruiting for and conducting one Engineers as Teachers university programs at partner universities each semester
- Recruiting for and conducting 3shorter training programs for corporate engineers each semester
- Supporting the engineers to create content for the Curiosity Machine and teach local family science coursesat elementary schools.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Science Communication to the Public: Ability to identify key points in a vast amount of information (for instance, identifying core ideas or the “why” in scientific papers) and to communicate them in engaging and creative ways with diverse audiences.
- Creative Problem Solving: Ability to brainstorm with engineering students to help them create unique, innovative and engaging open ended projects that align with current research.
- Presentation skills: Ability to move/recruit people through engaging presentations
- Ability to explain complex ideas very simply (without making the ideas trivial)
- Engaging teacher
- High level of comfort with tinkering, building, hacking.
- High level of comfort with technology
- Demonstrated effectiveness in building successful partnerships, particularly with technical subject matter experts
- Experience/comfort in working in a virtual team
- Leading volunteers to achieve organizational goals
- Demonstrated experience with evaluating program results and effectiveness
- Effective written and verbal communication capabilities
- B.S. or greater in science or other technical-related discipline and minimum 2 years experience.
- Prior teaching experience is mandatory
How to apply
Please complete the following screening task (here is our rationale on why we ask candidates to invest the time upfront)
- Please read the following article: http://www.amjbot.org/content/94/7/1061.full
- Create an engaging open-ended engineering design project that fulfills these guidelines: http://iridescentlearning.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Iridescent_DBI_good-designs.pdf It should illustrate core concepts that are introduced in the article
- Create a vine video that shows how to do the experiment and share it with the Iridescent team.
- Write a description of the concept and experiment in the style of our Curiosity Machine projects explaining the core concept and how the project will deepen understanding of the concept.
- Please send resume and cover letter to Recruiting@IridescentLearning.org
532 W. 22nd St., Los Angeles, California, 90007, United States