The Engineering Specialist is a member of a technical team responsible for the implementation of Whole Farm Plans on horse, livestock and crop farms in New York City's Croton Watershed for the protection of drinking water quality.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Associates Degree required, Bachelor's degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or related field preferred.
- Two years experience surveying, planning, engineering and implementing agricultural or water quality Best Management Practices (BMPs).
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office 2007 applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Two years experience using AutoCAD and Civil 3D software.
- Two years experience using surveying equipment; e.g. total station, data collector.
- Ability to maintain a professional working relationship within a team setting.
- Knowledge of basic engineering and construction practices used in the design of agricultural and water quality BMPs.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work outdoors, at times in adverse weather conditions.
- Must have a valid and current driver's license.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in the agricultural industry or knowledge of farming practices on livestock, horse or crop operations.
- One or more years of experience using GIS software.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct topographic surveys using a total station and data collector, import data into AutoCAD Civil 3D and design structural BMPs.
- Prepare construction plans, calculate cost estimates, prepare technical specifications, and perform construction oversight of agricultural structural and non-structural BMPs.
- Prepare engineering designs according to USDA-NRCS standards and specifications.
- Explain design packages and procurement procedures to participants (private landowners), and coordinate project implementation with contractors and participants.
- Assist planning team with Whole Farm Planning efforts and the selection and cost estimation of new BMPs and repairs.
- Works closely with the Professional Engineer of the Agricultural Program.
- Works under the supervision of the East of Hudson Agricultural Program Coordinator or his/her designee.
. Salary: high $40,000s.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to Amy Hawk, Watershed Agricultural Council, 33195 State Highway 10, Walton, NY 13856. EOE. Review of applications will begin Feburary 7, 2014.
33195 State Highway 10, Walton, NY 13856