Dorchester Collegiate Academy seeks an exceptional ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNER (ELL) TEACHER who is highly qualified and knowledgeable to join our community of teachers, learners and leaders.
1. TEACH: English Language Learners in grades 4-8
-Provide individualized and small group ELL instruction to English Language Learners.
-Collaborate and communicate with the ELL student’s content teacher(s) to align instruction and support to both the ELL student’s English language development and their classroom instructional needs (instructions, vocabulary, reading and writing support, and clarification of assignments).
-Assist with the oversight and delivery of ELL assessments;
-Assist with overall coordination and administration of ELL programming;
-Prepare for and assist with organization of ELL student’s transition meetings for those ready to transition out of ELL services.
2. EQUITY AND HIGH EXPECTATIONS: Demonstrate a commitment to excellence, equity, and high expectations for all students with an emphasis on building on the strengths that students bring to the teaching/learning process and closing the achievement gap between ELL as a subgroup ELL within the school.
3. PROFESSIONALISM: Model professional behavior that addresses job responsibilities, district policies and procedures, and the expectations of professionals working in a multi-lingual, multi-cultural, and economically diverse community.
4. SAFE, RESPECTFUL, AND CULTURALLY SENSITIVE AND RESPONSIVE LEARNING COMMUNITIES: Build and maintain safe, fair, and respectful learning environments that celebrate the diversity of the student population.
5. PARTNERSHIPS WITH FAMILY: Initiate and maintain consistent communication and develop constructive partnerships with families communicating about student progress and ways the families can support the student at home.
1. Hold a valid Massachusetts Teaching License in ELL (formerly ESL) PreK-6 and 5-12.
2. Meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully licensed and Highly Qualified according to NCLB.
4. Education: Hold a Bachelors degree.
5. Current authorization to work in the United States – Candidates must have such authorization by their first day of employment.
6. Attend district and state-sponsored professional development opportunities sufficient to stay current with changes in ELL instruction and improvements in ELL teaching strategies.
7. Able to model excellent spoken and written English for students learning English in school.
1. Experience teaching at least 1 year in a K-12 setting.
2. Experience teaching in urban schools.
3. Is a MELA-O Administrator (QMA).
4. Sheltered English Instruction Training.
How to apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Bob Flynn at email@example.com
131 Hancock Street, Dorchester, MA, 02124, US