2014-2015 Elementary Teacher (Kindergarten, 1st, or 2nd), Harlem Village Academies
Start date: July 28, 2014
Location: Harlem, New York
What Makes Harlem Village Academies Different?
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working together to build an urban school district in Harlem based on the ideals and rich tradition of progressive education.
Teachers here have more than a voice: we are trusted every day to make important decisions for our schools. Each of us is passionate about creating a rich intellectual life for ourselves and our students. We deeply value the craft of excellent teaching. As educators, we are constantly digging deeper into the intricacies of learning and student work. We plan curriculum together, observe each other’s lessons, and talk all the time about teaching. We are lit up with entrepreneurial drive, and the intellectual energy is palpable.
Progressive Educational Philosophy
“Are we forming children who are only capable of learning what is already known or should we try to develop creative and innovative minds?” ; Piaget
We believe students learn best through experience, deep engagement and discovery. We want our students to be intellectually curious, creative, and independent. We want them to love reading, to be articulate and reflective. We want them to be open-minded as well as skeptical, to take initiative, and to be kind, respectful and compassionate. Students should spend their school days constructing knowledge, grappling with text, and doing the intellectual heavy lifting, with teachers as adept guides.
Constant Learning for Teachers
Our new Graduate School of Education, recently featured in the New York Times and led by an extraordinary team of master educators, will prepare teachers to bring exquisite instruction to children who need it the most. Teachers at HVA receive ongoing, top-notch development led by academic leaders in their school as well as the graduate school team.
Who We’re Looking For
The teachers we hire are smart, passionate, experienced educators who believe that all students can learn at the highest level. We look for teachers who are steeped in progressive pedagogy or committed to learning how to develop high-quality, progressive instruction. The ideal candidates love learning and inspire students to love learning. We look for teachers with a track record of high performance, who are genuinely warm and kind, and who thrive in an entrepreneurial culture.
- Develop and teach highly engaging, academically rigorous curriculum and lessons, aligned with HVA’s standards and progressive pedagogical philosophy
- Invest several hours per week in professional learning, including personalized instructional coaching, co-planning, book study groups and other learning work
- Inspire students to hold themselves to high standards of academics and character
- Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
- Analyze assessment data and use it to inform your instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
- Minimum of two years full-time classroom teaching experience required, preferably in grades pre-K-2. Four or more years of teaching experience strongly preferred.
- Proven success with high-quality progressive pedagogy preferred; a commitment to developing progressive pedagogy is essential
- Strong track record of student achievement in your past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
How to apply
Interested candidates should review our website (www.harlemvillageacademies.org) to ensure that their values and educational philosophy align with Harlem Village Academies. If you are struck by the possibility of a great fit, please apply through the Careers section of our website.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates with less than two years of full-time teaching experience will not be considered for full-time teaching positions, but we urge you to contact us after your second year of teaching or explore another opportunity with us.
35 West 124th Street, New York, NY, 10027, US