The Audubon Society of Rhode Island seeks a high energy, experienced environmental educator for a full-time role. This position entails teaching the Society's environmental education programs to a broad spectrum of audiences at various Audubon wildlife refuges including the Environmental Education Center, schools and other community organizations. This position reports to the Sr. Director of Education.
• Present and teach programs on natural history and environmental topics in a wide variety of settings such as classrooms, Audubon wildlife refuges, afterschool, libraries, etc.
• Design innovative curriculum for classroom, field use, after school, and summer enrichment that align with state educational standards.
• Assist with and lead teacher professional development workshops.
• Work with animals used in education programs and assist with feeding/care (reptiles, amphibians, raptors, arthropods).
• Assist with overall Audubon Society of Rhode Island events and programs.
• Answer questions regarding natural history and environmental topics as needed.
• Serve as a representative of and a liaison for, the Society within the education community.
• Remain informed about current natural history, environmental issues, and keep up to date on current educational theories and practices pertaining to environmental and science education.
• Maintain props, specimens and resource materials.
• Miscellaneous other duties as may be assigned by direct supervisor.
• Requires a Bachelors degree in one of the natural sciences or education.
• Experience working with children - a variety of ages and diverse backgrounds.
• Ability and willingness to work outdoors despite extremely sunny, hot or rainy conditions.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Able to work in teams as well as independently.
• Must be physically capable of walking several miles, and able to lift up to 35 pounds.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
• Must be outgoing with a good sense of humor.
• Windows and Mac computer literate.
• Candidates should have reliable transportation and valid driver's license.
• Hold or be able to acquire First Aid and CPR certification.
• Must undergo and pass a background check upon hire.
Interested and qualified individuals should forward their cover letter and resume to: Kristen Swanberg, Senior Director of Education, Audubon Society of Rhode Island, 1401 Hope Street, Bristol, RI 02809, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission deadline November 15, 2013.
1401 Hope Street
Bristol, Rhode Island 02809