SUMMARY: VINS Education Interns deliver live raptor and Vermont natural history programs at the VINS Nature Center in Quechee, Vermont and through our Outreach program to other sites around the region.
VINS' education programs are designed for all audiences. In addition to our public programs at the Nature Center, we serve communities throughout northern New England. Job location is in Quechee, Vermont at the VINS Nature Center with some travel to other program sites as required.
• Present educational programs, many of which involve live animals (mainly raptors), to audiences of all ages (e.g., on-site daily programs, school tours, camps, Elderhostel programs, resort programs, fairs, public relations events).
• Lead interpretive nature walks for the public including tours of the Quechee Gorge.
• Work with education staff to schedule and develop new programs as appropriate.
• Work a varied schedule that often includes evenings, weekends, and long days.
• Help with care, cleaning, and handling of raptors, reptiles, and amphibians used in programs.
• Attend VINS staff meetings and participate in organization functions as required.
• Work with other departments at VINS to both bring added content to public programs and facilitate opportunities for cross-promotion of programs.
• Experience in public speaking and environmental education preferred.
• Have degree in education or environmental sciences, working towards a degree or have equivalent education experience.
• General knowledge of raptors and New England natural history (or willingness and initiative to learn).
• Comfortable using AV equipment (including PA systems).
• Strong organizational skills and work ethic.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Able to lift up to 50 pounds and lead moderate to strenuous trail hikes.
• Previous animal-handling experience, especially raptors, preferred.
• Current first aid and CPR certification (VINS may be able to assist in scheduling a training).
COMPENSATION AND WORK SCHEDULE:
• Stipend is $240 every 2-week pay period. Housing may be available. Regular work week is 40 hours with some exceptions based on particular program offerings. Term of employment is April 14, 2014 through October 31, 2014 (some flexibility for appropriate candidates). Work day schedule will vary.
ALL VINS STAFF WORKING DIRECTLY WITH CHILDREN ARE SUBJECT TO A THOROUGH BACKGROUND CHECK, INCLUDING FINGERPRINTING AND A CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK.
Send resume, cover letter and three references to:
VINS, Attn: Chris Collier
PO Box 1281
Quechee, VT 05059
VINS (The Vermont Institute of Natural Science) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization wholly supported by membership dues, admission and program fees, donations, and grants. VINS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PO Box 1281
Quechee, Vermont 05059