Job Title: Part-time Counselor
Job Classification: Part-time (20 hours/week) Non Exempt
Position Reports To: Manager, Community Counseling and Advocacy Program
My Sisters' Place (MSP) is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, located in Westchester County, New York, that has grown from a grassroots task force and drop-in center formalized in 1978 into a cutting-edge leader and resource in the field of domestic violence advocacy and services. The part time (20 hours/week) Counselor provides individual support and counseling to all victims of intimate partner violence and human trafficking in MSP's Yonkers office.
• Conduct phone outreach to victims, assessing their emotional and practical needs, as well as explaining the services offered by MSP.
• Provide individual crisis intervention, safety planning, and short-term counseling to victims
• Advocate on clients' behalf with the police, district attorney's office, and public benefits agencies
• Provide clients with information and referrals to outside services for themselves and their children
• Maintain program statistics in compliance with funding requirements and objectives
• Represent agency at community meetings and coalitions
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Bachelor's degree preferred; two years college plus one year related experience required. Knowledge of victimization and domestic violence a plus; prior counseling experience also a plus
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and on a team
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
• Bi-lingual English/Spanish strongly preferred
My Sisters' Place policy prohibits discrimination due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and national origin in employment and delivery of services.
How to apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Send resume and cover letter by e-mail to DGurnani@mspny.org
Please indicate the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
One Water Street, White Plains, NY, 10601, US