Every year, hundreds of ultra-Orthodox Jewish men and women attempt to explore the world beyond their insular communities. These courageous individuals struggle to redefine their lives despite punitive reactions from family and friends, little if any secular education, a lack of experience with modern gender roles, and, in some cases, a limited command of English. Footsteps is the only organization in North America assisting people on this journey. Based in New York, we provide a range of services, including social and emotional support, educational and vocational guidance, workshops and social activities, and access to resources. Thanks to Footsteps, former ultra-Orthodox Jews have a safe, supportive, and flourishing community to turn to as they work to define their own identities, build new connections, and lead productive lives on their own terms. To learn more visitwww.footstepsorg.org.
The Director of Support Services will oversee the provision of quality support services to Footsteps members, especially those in the early stages of their transitions. S/He will be responsible for deepening and broadening resources and programs that meet members' needs in the areas of emotional and social supports, legal supports and crisis intervention. The Director of Support Services will manage a team of staff that will promote a welcoming environment of support and understanding among Footsteps members. S/He will enhance programs with an eye towards sustainable growth, learning from past successes and adopting best practices from peer agencies. The ideal candidate will excel in strategic program development, organizational collaborations and staff management, and will also have clinical social work experience.
Reports to: Executive Director
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Program Planning & Development
- Lead program staff to identify members' needs around support services and maximize organizational impact.
- Develop and implement program strategy for emotional and social supports, legal supports and crisis intervention.
- Supervise the Support Services Team and ensure provision of quality services members, especially those in the early stages of their transition.
- Develop relationships with external agencies and individuals in order to best meet needs of membership.
- Oversee Footsteps' program calendar.
- Develop new initiatives, including legal supports and distance support.
- Ensure services, follow-up and resources for potential and new members are strong and streamlined.
- In collaboration with Executive Director and program staff, develop and implement program policies.
- In conjunction with Program Development and Operations Manager, develop and implement monitoring and evaluation systems to track the program impact.
- Stay up-to-date with developments in the community served as well as current events.
- Support Services:
--Ensure maintenance of referral system Conduct a limited number of high need 1:1 intakes and supportive counseling sessions.
--Work with workshop facilitators to develop quality programs; facilitate workshops and groups as needed.
--Communicate with Footsteps staff members regarding participants' needs as they arise.
- Oversee communications to Footsteps members about program offerings.
- Coordinate in-service trainings and meetings with external agencies.
- Represent Footsteps to partner agencies and relevant external stakeholders.
- Respond to requests for internal and external reports.
Experience & Qualifications
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (preferred).
- 7+ years of related work experience.
- Track record of program planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Demonstrated commitment to organizational collaborations; experience developing strategic partnerships a plus.
- Strong knowledge of the New York social service arena, specifically in the following service areas: Mental Health, Family and Youth, Legal and Housing.
- Comfort engaging with and exploring new uses of technology to support programs.
- Ability to work flexible hours including 1-2 evenings per week and occasional Sundays.
- Personal experience with the Footsteps population and/or individuals undergoing life transition, a plus.
- Passion for Footsteps' mission and values.
- Listens well, able to analyze issues and propose solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, comfort networking and presenting work to others.
- Non-judgmental character and able to set aside personal beliefs in service to member needs.
- Systems-oriented with demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism, and flexibility in approach to work.
- Keen ability to manage project workflow; juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Congenial, collaborative personality with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented culture; also able to work independently when needed.
- Takes initiative, comfort offering suggestions as well as asking for feedback and guidance.
How to apply
For immediate consideration, send your resume and cover letter email@example.com and indicate your name and "Director of Support Services" in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the submission deadline of November 10, 2013.
Footsteps is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Footsteps. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.