Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.6 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 14, 000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Director of Program Operations shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Country Office. The Director of Program Operations in his/her capacity is responsible for implementation of all programming in country, including the management of all sub offices, emergency preparedness and response (including DRR).
Qualifications and Experience:
- Recommended a minimum of 5 years of senior management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, including significant field operations experience running both emergency and development programs
- Masters degree in development or other social sciences
- Robust experience of NGO emergency program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organisation structure
- A very good understanding of at least 3 of the sectoral programs and a working knowledge of the program priorities of the Country Office
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management * Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control and securing and managing grants from major institutional donors
- Solid project management skills related to organisational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- An in-depth understanding of national and international development issues and best practice in particular in relation to children
- Previous experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams in the event of major emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children's aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
How to apply
Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: