With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Director of Marketing for the Corporate Partnerships Program acts as the chief marketing strategist for EDF’s work with business around environmental innovation and sustainability. The Director develops, manages and implements EDF’s marketing strategy ; in coordination with our corporate partners ;to amplify the impact of this work, accelerate adoption of EDF innovations and boost business involvement in EDF initiatives.
EDF is creating a fast track to environmental gains by partnering strategically with companies that have the power to rapidly leverage real environmental improvements across entire sectors. In some cases, these companies are large or influential enough to be more powerful than many national governments. Our marketing strategy supports our program goals by pushing out new innovations, creating networks of green business innovators, and challenging businesses to think outside the box and see that protecting the environment works to their benefit ; allowing them to reap the rewards while challenging others to do the same.
The Director is an integral part of the EDF Corporate Partnerships team, which engages with business on multiple projects around environmental sustainability. At the same time, the Director is a key component of the EDF Marketing and Communications team, helping promote the work of EDF while supporting the specific activities and goals of our corporate partnerships. The Director reports to the Senior Vice President, Strategy and Communications, coordinates closely with the Vice President for Corporate Partnerships and manages a team of professionals and consultants who support and execute our marketing strategies.
The scope of marketing activities is broad, encompassing media outreach, online engagement, website and blog strategy, speaking engagements, thought leadership activities, events, network-building, advertising, and collateral development related to EDF’s work with business. This position requires an understanding of and keen interest in the business sustainability space, as well as an ability to manage multiple projects at once. This is an unparalleled opportunity to lead a very effective and dedicated team at the dynamic intersection of business and the environment.
• Develop, manage and implement the overall marketing strategy for EDF’s work with corporate partners to amplify the impact of this work, accelerate adoption of EDF innovations, boost business involvement in EDF initiatives and improve EDF’s reputation and credibility with businesses, policymakers and donors.
• Manage and leverage the marketing and PR resources of our partners to maximize exposure for EDF and accelerate adoption of the outcomes we seek
• Manage a staff to execute marketing strategy, developing clear job responsibilities and accountability systems and developing staff talents and careers.
• Oversee the components of a comprehensive marketing program, including: website and online presence, blogs and social media elements, speaking engagements and events, Media outreach and relationships, Advertising and collateral, Events, Network building and management
• Thought leadership
• Manage outside support, including developing RFPs where appropriate, identifying outside resources, assessing agency and consultant expertise, and managing outside teams to achieve excellent results on time and in budget.
• Coordinate with other senior marcomms staff at EDF to leverage the communications assets of the organization, helping promote EDF’s work around environmental innovation in the private sector
• Develop and manage relationships with other NGOs and firms engaged in the business sustainability space to ensure cross-pollination of ideas and strategies
• Develop, track and share metrics that assess the effectiveness and reach of EDF marketing efforts in the business sustainability space
• Demonstrated success in leading the development and execution of complex, multi-pronged and multi-party marketing strategies and programs, preferably in a corporate and/or an issue advocacy context
• Demonstrated success in developing creative approaches to marketing ideas and concepts
• Experience in direct staff management and mentoring, along with demonstrated success in managing outside of formal authority to build consensus and align expectations and outcomes across organizational lines
• Superb marketing strategy, writing, editing and communications skills
• Experience pitching and developing strong relationships with top tier business media; familiarity with environmental media a plus
• Experience providing creative marketing support and strategy to multiple internal project teams simultaneously
• Ability to strategize and implement marketing activities across multiple platforms for maximum impact in the environmental and business space
• Experience building a public platform for thought leadersship within a company or organization
• Experience hiring and managing consultants/agency support
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer