Appalachian Voices, an award winning non-profit organization that protects the land, air, water and communities of the central and southern Appalachian region while advancing a clean energy future, is seeking a Director of Development. This individual will join a team of professionals dedicated to bringing people together to implement solutions to the environmental problems having the greatest impact on the region. Our staff share a strong commitment to our mission and a deep connection to the Appalachian region and its people.
Based in Charlottesville, VA, Boone, NC, or Washington, DC, the Director of Development will report to the Executive Director. S/he will be responsible for maximizing development functions throughout the organization through close collaboration with our program, communications, and development staff, particularly our Director of Leadership Gifts.
Essential job responsibilities include:
- Managing all development activities to meet our fundraising goals
- Creating and implementing a development plan in consultation with the Executive Director, the Director of Leadership Gifts, and the senior management team
- Tracking of all foundation schedules, deadlines and requirements, and developing and submitting grant proposals and reports
- Researching potential new sources of foundation funding, making initial contacts with foundations, and submitting letters of inquiry
- Ensuring compliance with charity-rating entities such as Charity Navigator
- Assisting with board meetings and board development
- Contributing to organizational communications strategies and overseeing communications for development
- Supervising membership development and relationships with major donors
- Participating on the senior management team to help formulate and execute long-term goals and strategies, and to ensure effective day-to-day operations
Education, experience and skills required:
- Extremely strong writing skills and demonstrated success in securing grants and major gifts
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to work productively both autonomously and as team member
- Experience attracting, engaging and building lasting relationships with high-level donors
- Working knowledge of social media and other digital tools to grow membership base and raise organizational visibility is a plus
- Familiarity with environmental and/or energy issues is a strong plus.
The successful candidate will be committed to the mission of Appalachian Voices and motivated to join a team of hard-working, fun-loving, caring, smart and creative colleagues. Appalachian Voices is an Equal Opportunity Employer and minorities are encouraged to apply. Competitive non-profit salary commensurate with experience and skills.
How to apply
If interested in applying please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Visit www.appalachianvoices.org for more information.