Title: Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary Range: $60,000 ; $65,000
Benefits: Excellent benefits including health care, dental care, casual and friendly work environment, and flexible 4-day work week.
Green America is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a sustainable and just society by using economic strategies to solve social and environmental problems. Green America’s unique approach involves working with consumers, businesses and investors simultaneously. Our workplace reflects our goal of creating a cooperative, environmentally sound economy. We have a participatory workplace and aim for consensus decisionâ€‘making within departments and teams.
We seek a Director of Development who can hit the ground running to play a major role in taking the organization to a much higher level of major donor and foundation support. We expect our Director of Development to be a very strong individual contributor (a “doer”), an effective leader of our development team, and a valuable member of our senior management team, helping to shape strategy and make decisions for our organization as a whole.
The Director of Development’s responsibilities include:
Significantly expand the breadth and depth of major donor and foundation support. Overall, achieve a significant increase in funding from major donors and foundations. Lead Green America’s major 30th anniversary campaign (2013). Dramatically expand our base of support among major donors and foundations and continually grow the funding pipeline across time.
Create and implement an effective development strategy. Design and implement a comprehensive plan to expand our base of support and achieve fundraising targets. Proactively identify and pursue foundations and prospective major funders with potential to support the organization and/or specific programs/initiatives. Proactively identify new programs/initiatives to pursue based on the opportunity to secure support from foundations and existing/prospective major funders.
Effectively articulate Green America’s mission, objectives, programs, impacts and asks. Create compelling, effective fundraising messages and collateral. Effectively convey the organization’s mission, objectives, programs, impacts and asks in one-on-one conversations and with larger groups. Play a significant role in helping to increase Green America’s profile as a green thought/action leader.
Play a direct, lead role in forging productive long-term relationships ; yielding significant sustained support ; with existing/prospective major donors and foundation executives. Achieve personal fundraising targets for major donors and foundations. Build relationships based on credibility, trust and knowledge/understanding of prospective supporters’ values and priorities.
Effectively leverage the Executive Director and others in fundraising efforts. Proactively identify when it will be effective to strategically involve the Executive Director, other leadership staff, and/or Board members in fundraising efforts and manage/coordinate their targeted participation. Track, manage and pursue leads, prospects and follow-ups passed on by others in the organization.
Improve fundraising effectiveness and efficiency. Identify opportunities to achieve efficiency/effectiveness gains through the implementation of new/modified approaches, practices and processes. Propose software/technology solutions which are scaled to the organization and are expected to yield a high return on investment. Work with the technology team to ensure the successful development and deployment of new/modified solutions.
Manage participation in the Combined Federal Campaign. Oversee the application process, management of recruitment events, renewals segmenting and thank-you processes.
Manage the development team. Work with the Executive Director and other leadership staff to develop fundraising targets, staffing budgets and expense budgets for the development team. Own the achievement of the team’s goals and objectives. Effectively prioritize the team’s efforts. Create and utilize a set of dashboard metrics to measure/report the outcomes and effectiveness of the development team’s efforts. Determine the return on investment of fundraising campaigns/initiatives.
Recruit, develop and coach development team members. Effectively leverage team members by recognizing their capabilities/skills, delegating responsibilities and empowering team members. Create stretch opportunities for team members, with appropriate guidance and coaching, in order for them to build their capabilities/skills and experience. Grow the team by recruiting top-caliber candidates with the potential to take on increasing levels of responsibility.
The ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 to 8 years of proven high-dollar fundraising experience in at least two of the following areas: major donors, foundations, business sponsorships or events.
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) certification (or working toward certification) preferred.
- Research skills and familiarity with fundraising databases needed to efficiently identify, segment and prioritize prospective major donors and foundations in order to target and tailor fundraising efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize technology/software solutions to manage fundraising efforts.
- Proven ability to effectively lead a team and work in coordination with other team leaders.
- Strong project management and organizational skills with ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial, results-oriented focus, with demonstrated ability to work and solve problems independently in order to move projects from inception to completion.
- Exemplary communications skills, interpersonal skills and professionalism, with ability to interact very effectively with critical external stakeholders.
- Excellent written skills with demonstrated ability to craft compelling, effective messaging and collateral for marketing and fundraising purposes.
- Strong intrinsic interest in issues directly related to Green America’s mission.
Green America is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Benefits include major medical and dental insurance, vacation and sick days, paid holidays, mental health days, pre-tax child care/transportation credit and flexible hours.
TO APPLY: Cover letter and resume to Martha van Gelder, Martha@greenamerica.org
Martha van Gelder