Wood, water, wildlife, and wonder. Pacific Forest Trust delivers landscape-scale private forest conservation in the West and develops innovative incentives for forest conservation at the national level. With our partners, we work to conserve irreplaceable private forest landscapes—60% of all forests in the U.S.—and secure the vital forest resources we all depend on. We do so in a way that rewards private landowners, boosts local economies, and restores resilient forest ecosystems.
Headquartered in the verdant Presidio of San Francisco, PFT is small-but-mighty, with 12 full time staff and an annual operating budget of $2.1 million in addition to $5 million - $10 million in conservation acquisitions. We value a collegial, collaborative environment filled with bright minds that generate groundbreaking ideas and work hard to implement them. We also understand the importance of work/life balance for a resilient team.
The Director of Administration and Finance is a leadership position, ensuring PFT's effective organization by handling finances, information technology, administration and human resource systems that underpin our operations. As an experienced, hands-on manager, the Director not only maintains PFT's financial integrity and sustainability, but understands organizational dynamics, is skilled in management systems and problem solving, and is able to help PFT's people grow and be effective in their work for this dynamic, mission-driven organization.
Specifically, the Director will be responsible for financial controls and policies; budget management; financial analyses; investment oversight; government compliance; information systems and facilities; insurance and risk management; and human resources, including professional development, management training, benefits program, and related functions.
• Advanced degree in business, finance or similar preferred.
• Minimum 8 years experience in senior organizational management functions with fiscal responsibility.
• Experience in non-profit operations, accounting, human resources and organizational development preferred.
• Detail oriented.
• Demonstrated integrity and excellent judgment, with strong interpersonal and communications skills.
• Discretion and the ability to deal with sensitive issues and information in a professional, tactful and, as required, confidential manner.
• IT savvy with Macintosh operating system a plus. Comfortable and effective in a growing, dynamic organization.
• Balances the often-sensitive nature of the job with warmth and humor.
• Committed to mission of PFT.
PFT offers a competitive compensation package including generous health, retirement, leave and commuter benefits.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Reports to the President. Supervises Senior Accountant, Administrative Coordinator, and outside contractors. Provides support to Board finance and investment committee. The Director has the following responsibilities:
• Participate in overall management team for the organization.
• Lead accomplishment of goals for organizational development as established in annual planning.
• Generally maintain and enhance PFT's working environment and facilitate teamwork, consistent with Culture and Values statement.
Human Resources (HR):
• Meet PFT's goals for competitive compensation and provide high quality benefits packages within our resources; ensure proper management and record-keeping thereof.
• Oversee quality of recruitment efforts, employee orientation and termination processes, meeting PFT goals and legal compliance mandates.
• Oversee professional skills development for staff to enhance individual and organizational performance.
Finance and Investments:
• Continuously improve and oversee implementation of PFT's financial policies and procedures to ensure strong financial controls, accurate accounting, and the integrity of our systems.
• Lead annual and long-term budgeting process and track performance. Prepare project budgets for proposals and reports to funders, including foundations, government agencies, and others.
• Ensure timely preparation of monthly and annual financial statements and regular reports and analyses, including budget to actual performance, according to FASB non-profit accounting standards and on a cash basis.
• Prepare cash flow projections and manage cash.
• Maintain and implement PFT investment policies for general assets, Conservation Capital Fund, Stewardship Fund, Outlet Creek Ranch Fund; supervise independent investment adviser; and provide investment reports.
• Manage PFT's annual independent audit, and government funding related program audits as necessary. Support the Board audit committee.
• Identify and implement cost recovery techniques, fee structures, revenue-generating products and services.
Risk Management and Compliance:
• Ensure compliance with all government regulations, including those related to HR related, charitable registrations, and lobbying.
• Regularly review risks, ensure risk reduction policies and procedures are in place and complied with, and maintain appropriate insurance coverage.
• Ensure quality maintenance and security of PFT assets, records and facilities.
• Oversee emergency preparedness.
• Supervise selection and maintenance of PFT information systems, including computer network, copiers/printers, telephone services, databases (GIS, contacts) and other technology.
Contracts and Purchasing:
• Oversee PFT contracts and leases with 3rd parties for services and oversee compliance.
• Ensure purchasing controls and efficiencies to achieve least cost, best quality acquisition of materials, services, travel.
• Assure that PFT's offices and other facilities are appropriate to its needs. Supervise selection, leases, compliance, maintenance and related tasks.
• Supervise management of meeting and event logistics.
• Assure organizational activities have the administrative systems and support necessary to accomplish goals and objectives, within resource constraints.
Fred M. van Eck Forest Foundation
PFT is the manager of two forest properties owned by this entity, one in California and one in Oregon. The Director is responsible for the fiscal and operational services provided by PFT to the Foundation, including accounting, cash management, risk management and insurance, and contract management. PFT's Senior Forester oversees forestry operations and consulting foresters. The Foundation has no employees.
If you are fully qualified for this position, email a targeted resume with a cover letter emphasizing your interest and experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: [Your last name] + Director of Admin and Finance. Please include your salary requirements (a range, based on your salary history) in the cover letter. Applications without a cover letter or stated salary range will not be considered.