The Director for Health Sector Business Development leads the development and execution Plan USA's business strategy for expansion of health sector programming, this in close collaboration with Plan staff throughout the USNO and across the Plan Federation. Specifically, the Director for Health Sector Business Development will assure thorough advance preparation for future funding opportunities, and substantively engage in and contribute to the development of Plan's responses to major solicitations in the health sector. Furthermore, the Director will also lead and/or contribute substantively to non-health programs where appropriate, and manage several Business Development Unit (BDU) staff.
Reporting & Supervision
The Director for Health Sector Business Development reports to Sr. Director for Business Development. The position supervises three Business Development Managers, and routinely interacts with: director level staff within the Institutional Programs Department; peers throughout the Plan Federation; and will have frequent interaction with other internal actors at the senior management level as well as Plan International counterparts and external partners and donors.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops Plan's business development strategy for the health sector, as aligned with USNO Health Team Sector program strategy
- Builds consensus with Plan Country Offices (COs), USNO technical and program staff, and internal Plan federation partners regarding the USNO's approach to and priorities for the expansion of programming in the health sector
- Works with Health team on development of all technical content, including drafting technical sections, for Plan's responses to all health sector solicitations.
- Provides direct oversight of three Business Development Managers
- Coordinates the review of health sector business opportunities, and allocation of resources to prepare for upcoming bids through the review of Action Plans and associated budgets.
- Oversees the identification, development, and implementation of bid teaming and partnering strategies for health sector programs;
- Provides guidance and support for the effective positioning of Plan International for new business development in the health sector at both Plan International USA headquarters and the Country Office levels, including support to early intelligence gathering, reconnaissance, marketing, and effective partnership negotiations;
- Contributes to and/or supports the evolution of Plan USA Program strategy for health
- Networks with international Business Development professionals in peer organizations to enhance organizational learning and partnering opportunities;
- Represents Plan International USA to donors, partners, and other relevant external audiences as required in support of securing restricted funding for Plan International USA programs;
- Performs additional tasks as assigned.
- Master's degree public health or related discipline.
- 10+ years of professional experience designing and implementing international public health programs.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in new business development in the field of public health,
- Five years overseas experience at a senior management level (Country Director, Chief of Party etc.)
- Extensive experience with and knowledge of USAID , including the development of funding proposals and management /implementation of USAID projects overseas.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage and nurture complex teams precise scheduling responsibilities and multiple and shifting priorities;
- Proven team leadership skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment with both technical and non-technical staff from various cultural backgrounds;
- A passion for the mission and values of Plan International;
- Strong familiarity with the proposal development process and the intersection between business development and proposal development approaches and complementarities;
- Strong verbal communication and presentation skills;
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or French preferred;
- Ability to travel up to 35% annually.
- Must be able to work for an US Employer.
How to apply
To APPLY: Submit your cover letter and CV on-line to Job Req # 2013-0251 at our website www.planusa.org/jobopps.
Plan International USA is part of a global organization that works side-by-side with communities in 50 developing countries to end the cycle of poverty for children. Our solutions are designed up-front to be owned by the community for generations to come and range from clean water and healthcare programs to education projects and child protection initiatives. Plan's vision is to enable a future in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity.
1255 23rd Street NW, Washington, District of Columbia, 20037, United States