Job Description:New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an award-winning health and social services agency in NYC with 30 years of experience serving children with special medical needs and their families. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Director of Foster Care and Adoption.
RESPONSIBILITY: Has overall administrative and clinical responsibility for the Foster Care and Adoption Department, which includes: Intake, Homefinding, Special Medical Foster Care, and Treatment Family Foster Care.. Works collaboratively with NAC’s multidisciplinary team of social work, educational, clinical, medical and nursing professionals.
- Directly supervises the Assistant Director of Foster Care, the Director of Homefinding, the Director of Treatment Family Foster Care, one Senior Administrative Assistant and one Permanency Facilitator.
- Establishes policies and procedures to ensure the efficient functioning of the department, as well as compliance with agency, city, state and federal regulations.
- Ensures that permanency planning goals for children are achieved in a safe and timely manner.
- Acts as liaison to the agency attorney and remains current on legal and court issues affecting child welfare.
- Acts as liaison to the Administration for Children’s Services and the New York State Office of Children and Family Services.
- Works collaboratively with Quality Assurance as well as the Data Resources Department to ensure proper tracking of census data, as well as quality and outcomes of agency interventions.
- Participates on internal committees and in meetings including foster care rounds, case reviews, incident review committee, training committee and others.
- Represents NAC at outside meetings with funders and membership agencies.
- Works with a team to promote foster parent recruitment in the community.
- Ensures that appropriate training is available and provided as required/needed to foster care staff.
- Has responsibility for 24-hour on-call duty on a rotating basis.
- Other duties as required.
- LMSW required, LCSW preferred with a minimum of ten years post graduate work experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Minimum of five years recent supervisory and managerial experience in New York City foster care and adoption.
- Must be knowledgeable about the child welfare system and be able to impart that to agency staff.
- Strong managerial skills and the ability to provide leadership to a diverse team of professionals.
- Knowledge of health-related factors in working with physically disabled and/or chronically ill children as well as experience in the area of child development.
- Excellent clinical skills including strong diagnostic assessment skills.
- Must operate from a strengths based, mission driven perspective, with a belief in the abilities of children to thrive, grow and develop to their fullest potential, utilizing innovative thinking and problem solving skills.
- Must work well with both foster parents and birth parents, promoting concurrent permanency planning.
- Full-time, with some evenings and weekends, including 24-hour on-call duty on a rotating basis.
How to apply
Please specify position of interest when applying and submit resume to: New Alternatives for Children, Inc 15 West 26th Street, 8th floor New York, NY 10010 E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 212-994-3003.
NAC offers a salary commensurate with experience and excellent benefits.
“WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY”.
37 West 26th Street, 7th floor, New York, NY, 10010, US