Duties at the Delmarva Discovery Center (DDC) will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Manage all environmental education and heritage programs
- Supervise all staff, interns, and volunteers related to educational and heritage programming
- Oversee training, delivery, and scheduling of educational programming to ensure that they are implemented with the highest performance standards, in accordance with curricula and meet the scheduling needs of the DDC
- Develop and maintain partnerships with local, state, and federal organizations
- Oversee development of interpretive and outreach programming, both on site and off site.
- Oversee development and delivery of the DDC’s environmental education and heritage curriculum content
Serve as the coordinator of exhibits, including aquaria, heritage, living, and non-living exhibits
- Oversee all animal care including the development, care, and maintenance of all aquaria and their inhabitants, and the center’s live animal collection
- Care and maintenance of museum collections
- Develop a board approved collections policy regarding art, artifacts, and historical objects and apply those criteria to possible donations
- Coordinate the design, development, and installation of exhibit elements and materials
- Direct and supervise curatorial, technical, and student staff, and volunteers
- Oversee acquisition of all new living specimens and maintain appropriate permits/records.
- Procure vendors for changing exhibit room and establish start and take down dates
Develop, coordinate, and implement events, outreach, and marketing of DDC programs and materials
- Oversee and coordinate educational and heritage events held at the DDC
- Oversee and coordinate the outreach programs of the DDC
- In concert with the DDC’s Marketing Committee, work with local media outlets and organizations to market the DDC and its educational programs
- Responsible for seeking, writing and administering grants which pertain to exhibits, educational programming, environmental science, STEM, and other related funding areas.
Supervise interns, volunteers, and staff involved with exhibits and educational programming
- Assist the DDC’s Volunteer Maryland Coordinator
- Supervise and coordinate the training and placement of volunteers, interns, and staff working with live animals, exhibits, and educational programming
- Work with local educational institutions to foster internship and service learning opportunities
In addition, the Director of Education and Exhibits will ensure that the DDC is aware of the most current best practices and educational trends; attend appropriate conferences and briefings; and serve as a DDC Representative on appropriate educational committees, as required and as funding allows.
NOTE: This job description is not meant to be all inclusive. Employee may perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
This is a full- time exempt salaried position.
- Bachelor degree in Education, Biology, Zoology, or related field preferred
- Previous experience working with audiences of all ages
- Minimum one year experience working with reptiles, amphibians, and fish
- Experience working with freshwater and saltwater aquariums
- Certified SCUBA diver through a reputable dive organization preferred
- Must be computer literate (at a minimum, e-mail skills and a working knowledge of Basic Word, Excel, and Internet)
TO APPLY: Send email cover letter and resume to Delmarva Discovery Center at email@example.com Attention: Search Committee. Application deadline March 14, 2014 or until position is filled.
START DATE: April 14, 2014 (or before if qualified candidate is found sooner.)
Delmarva Discovery Center