Dorchester Preparatory Public Charter School
DIRECTOR OF CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION (DCI)
Cambridge, Maryland 21654
The Maryland Eastern Shore Charter School Alliance (MESCSA), a non-profit based in Cambridge, MD, is proposing to open Dorchester Preparatory Public Charter School, a middle school for students in grades six through eight, in the fall of 2014 in downtown Cambridge. Dorchester Prep will offer small classes, highly-qualified teachers, individualized data-driven instruction, state-of-the-art use of technology in a blended learning environment, personalized tutoring/mentoring programs, wraparound services and strong parental and community involvement. Ongoing supports that help students get to and all the way through college or other post-secondary education will be provided by its signature Dorchester Light House program.
Located in rural Dorchester County, Cambridge (population 12,503) is an authentic Chesapeake town on the Eastern Shore, known for its rich history, beautiful buildings, vibrant arts scene, and one-of-a-kind shops, restaurants, and services. Cambridge, in the heart of "Charming Chesapeake Country", is not only at the heart of the Chesapeake Country Heritage Area, but it is also part of the Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network, providing convenient entry points to recreational opportunities on the water. With top Atlantic beaches less than 1 ½ hours away, and metropolitan areas Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Annapolis, Philadelphia, Norfolk and Richmond close by, Cambridge is a prime location for recreation, culture, and business.
Dorchester Preparatory Public Charter School will be the first charter school on Maryland's Eastern Shore. This is a unique opportunity to pioneer cutting-edge education reform in a rural environment, ensuring Dorchester Prep's alumni become the "tipping point" for student success in Dorchester County. MESCSA has received U.S. Department of Education charter school start-up funding (conditional upon Dorchester County charter school approval) in the amount of $685,767 – one of only 16 applicants nationwide to receive funding in the latest round of 2013 non-SEA funding. Conditional private funding in the amount of $105,000 has also been awarded to MESCSA.
MESCSA is seeking an innovative, dynamic, and compassionate educational leader for its start-up public charter school.
- Responsible for curriculum, teaching and learning, and student achievement.
- Select curriculum, set class schedules, assist with the grouping of students for instruction, plan and direct professional development activities, assist with the hiring of the Dorchester Prep teaching staff, lead school-wide meetings, and provide coaching and feedback to the instructional staff.
- Observe classroom instruction daily, and seek and share best practices from other leading schools and professional journals.
- Lead the Special Education services team that oversees the implementation of and compliance with any Individualized Education Program (IEP) plans.
- Work collaboratively with the school-wide leadership team to ensure a thoughtful and seamless curriculum with consistent expectations for academic achievement and social and emotional development.
- Participate in the recruitment, hiring, training, assignment, and supervision of faculty.
- Foster an atmosphere of creativity, collaboration, and innovation.
- Ensure the educational program meets the needs of a diverse array of learners.
- Demonstrate a level of expertise and comfort with blended learning to ensure that appropriate educational technology is integrated into the learning experience.
- Take an active role in the recruitment, admission, and retention of students.
- Be active in marketing the school and its programs to the wider community and in institutional advancement.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- An advanced degree in Education, with credentialing in Educational Administration.
- A minimum of five years of teaching experience and two years of administrative experience. Preference given to those with charter school experience.
- A commitment to education reform and "evidenced-based" best practices.
- Demonstrated expertise and ability to provide leadership in all aspects of teaching and learning, and a familiarity with various modes of blended learning.
- Successful experience with the supervision, mentoring, and evaluation of teaching staff, with a focus on accountability to high standards for student achievement.
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding, and the ability to connect with middle school students on an academic and social/emotional level.
- The ability to build and maintain the commitment and enthusiasm of both students and faculty.
- The ability to lead and navigate well in a diverse learning environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to follow-through.
- Outstanding oral and written communication and problem-solving skills.
CANDIDATES MUST ALSO POSSESS THE FOLLOWING PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- A belief that all children can learn and achieve
- A passion for education reform
- A pioneer spirit that never gives up
- A love of learning
- A drive for excellence
- A team player
- An optimistic outlook
- A great and unrelenting sense of humor
How to apply
Please send a letter of interest and resume via email to: email@example.com
828 Airpac Road, Cambridge, MD, 21654, US