UP Elementary: Director of Currriculum and Assessment
All Subjects, Kindergarten ; Grade 5 (Kindergarten in 2014, school growing one grade per year) Training Start Date: Fall 2013 Full-time Start Date: June 2014
About UP Elementary: Baton Rouge University Preparatory Elementary School (“UP Elementary”) prepares students in kindergarten through grade five to succeed in middle school, high school, and college. Determined to close the achievement gap of students in Baton Rouge, and dedicated to the philosophy that college starts in kindergarten, UP Elementary brings our mission to life by providing a purposeful learning environment driven by a high expectations culture, best practice instructional strategies, and great human capital.
Our goal is break the cycle of educational under-attainment in Baton Rouge and to change the trajectory of our students’ lives by creating what increasing numbers of education reformers refer to as a “new normal” of college ready and college bound graduates in our poorest communities. If a child is to ever be in the position to exercise the choice for college and the ability to succeed there, that road to college must begin in kindergarten. In the long-term, UP Elementary proposes to be part of the larger solution to increase the percentage of college graduates in our target community. In the short-term, we seek to provide a high quality K-5 educational option for families in North Baton Rouge. Our long term vision is that 100% of students that matriculate from UP Elementary are prepared for demanding middle schools, firmly on the road to high school and college, and that they and their families are excited, prepared, and ambitious for the opportunities that all future learning can provide. Our vision is to produce students with the literacy and math skills to open every classroom door, and the character to tackle the academic work and life challenges that lie ahead.
Opening in 2014 with 108 kindergarten students and growing one grade per year, we will reach full grade span of K-5 and maximum student capacity of 648 in 2020.
Director of Curriculum and Assessment
The Director of Curriculum and Assessment (DCA) will join the UP Elementary founding leadership team as soon as possible and have the support of a rigorous leadership training and school observation program through Building Excellent Schools. School observations will be conducted at the nation’s top performing charter schools throughout the country. In addition, as a member of the founding leadership team, the DCA will develop and implement the school’s curriculum and assessment program.
UP Elementary is looking for a dynamic elementary school DCA for the school year 2014-2015. The primary responsibilities of the DCA are to (1) develop a rigorous, data-driven and college preparatory elementary program through which every child reaches ambitious school-wide goals and (2) provide instructional support and coaching for mission-driven, growth mindset teachers to ensure that each student is able to reach his or her full academic potential. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in developing units and lessons with the end goal in mind, using standards to develop lessons and familiarity with multiple forms of assessment. In addition to serving on the school’s leadership team, s/he coaches teachers and facilitates high-impact professional development for staff. This position requires an organized and thoughtful educator, deep passion for elementary literacy, a talent for inspiring outstanding achievement in children and a desire to be part of a high capacity founding team.
Responsibilities of the Director of Curriculum and Assessment:
Develop a rigorous, data-driven and college preparatory elementary program:
- Develop highly effective instructional curriculum and efficient schedule, in collaboration with School Director and leadership team.
- Analyze school wide data in order to improve instruction and curriculum and to design responsive student interventions.
- Devise and monitor high-impact support plans for struggling students.
- Effectively communicate academic progress to students, teachers and families.
Demonstrate exceptional teacher leadership:
- Directly coach teachers
- Observe lessons regularly and deliver targeted feedback to teachers.
- Collaborate with leadership and teachers to plan units, lessons and assessments; regularly share feedback.
- Model outstanding instruction for teachers.
Facilitate excellent professional development:
- Coordinate and manage useful and inspiring professional development sessions in line with school goals and priorities.
- Write thorough, thoughtful, actionable growth plans for teachers.
- Direct the interim assessment process to ensure teachers are using current data to drive instruction; facilitate regular, meaningful interim assessment data debriefs with teachers.
Serve as an active member of the school leadership team:
- Participate in regular leadership team meetings.
- Lead staff trainings at start and end of school year and on professional development days.
- Work closely with Leadership to support character development and positive school culture.
- Assist teacher leaders in developing leadership skills.
- Model UP Elementary’s professional and core values at all times; be a visible and highly engaged leader in the school community.
Qualifications, Skills and Characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree (required); Masters of Education (preferred)
- Exemplary instructional and classroom management skills
- Strong record of helping students achieve academic success
- Experience leading teachers to improve instructional delivery
- Deep knowledge of curriculum development and program design
- Strong communication and community-building skills
- Excellent organizational, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Experience in analyzing data to adjust curriculum to ensure increased student mastery
- Belief in the mission and values of UP Elementary
- An incredible work ethic and a passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture
How to apply
To ApplyEmail your resume with cover letter email@example.com