Little Kids Rock and Berklee College of Music are partnering with The New York City Department of Education to expand the district's Modern Band music program to include an additional 600 city schools. The historic joint venture, Amp Up NYC, will debut this November. As the program rolls out over a three-year period, more than 60,000 students in the nation's largest district will be served. Teacher training, classroom instruction, state-of-the-art online technology and a large donation of instruments will enable the teaching of contemporary music and Modern Band throughout the district.
Modern Band music programs teach the music of the past 50 years, from rock and reggae to Latin and R&B, among other genres. They complement existing programs such as jazz, marching band, and orchestral music. Hundreds of certified music teachers will be trained and equipped by Amp Up NYC to bring Modern Band programming to children in grades K-12. Extended day programs will also be offered, and a number of community-based music organizations will adopt the initiative.
Berklee and Little Kids Rock have a long history of educating underserved students using innovative methodologies and popular music styles. Berklee City Music is a community-service branch of the college with after-school classrooms at 43 sites across the country. Little Kids Rock runs the largest, in-school Modern Band program serving over 1,000 schools in 25 of the nation's largest public schools. The two entities are working together to combine two leading online Modern Band teaching platforms, to which Amp Up NYC teachers will have access: Berklee's PULSE music method and Little Kids Rock's Teacher Hang. This new and innovative online Modern Band resource will be complete with lesson plans, tips for classroom management, social media and classroom portfolios.
The Director of Amp Up: NYC will be a dynamic and charismatic leader who is responsible for the planning, executing and coordination of all activities related to AMP UP NYC. The Director will create and execute strategic plans for the overall expansion of the project to meet specific partnership goals. This person will also serve as the general liaison between AMP UP NYC and educational Arts administrators.
She/he will attend all key NYCDOE district and school board meetings, specifically related to music/arts education and where AMP UP NYC has the potential to be impacted. He/she will bring the sort of passion and mission-driven motivation that inspired the formation of Amp Up NYC and combine it with the managerial savvy and operational efficiency skills which are essential for continued growth and evolution. This person must have both a personal and professional commitment to music education. This is a highly dynamic role in a social entrepreneurial organization that is transforming kids' lives.
New York City, New York
Amp UP NYC Management Committee with dotted line reporting to the National Program Director of Little Kids Rock. This person will be an employee of Little Kids Rock.
- Under the guidance and direction of the National Program Director and the Management Committee of Amp Up NYC, participate in setting the overall strategy and specific annual goals and targets for expanding the program;
- Manage the goals and objectives of the Amp Up NYC staff that will include a Development Director and (2) Regional Program Directors;
- Manage the 4.5 million dollar budget for programmatic activities, including restricted and non-restricted funds with oversight from the National Program Director;
- Work closely with the NYCDOE Arts leaders to ensure ongoing support of the 150+ Amp Up NYC programs that are in place, and to build support for new programs;
- Establish, maintain and continuously review systems, processes and procedures to ensure that the programs are run efficiently, effectively, safely and in accordance with the terms of the joint venture;
- Steward the Regional Program Directors to ensure that the Amp Up NYC curriculum is effectively conveyed to new and existing teachers a d that they utilize it in their modern band programs;
- Establish criteria for data collection and assessment to provide metrics with respect to the efficacy of the program as well as the resulting satisfaction-level of the management committee;
- Ensure that the goals of the partnership are met, if not exceeded
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 5 years of experience working with public schools;
- 3 years of managerial experience in a setting involving comparable responsibilities as those outlined above including management of multi-site programming;
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven ability to motivate and inspire teachers and staff;
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects, self-prioritize, and adjust to shifting priorities while meeting deadlines and showing attention to detail;
- Ability to anticipate problems, take initiative, and "think outside the box;"
- Proficiency on one or more of the following instruments: guitar, electric bass, drum kit, keyboard;
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with databases;
- Bachelor's degree required;
- Master's or doctoral degree preferred;
- Formal academic pedigree in some aspect of music, music performance or music teaching will be required.
- Spanish speaking a plus
- A Shared passion for Amp Up NYC's mission and pedagogy;
- A dynamic, charismatic temperament that fosters enthusiasm in others;
- A natural relationship builder;
- A big picture thinker with the ability to provide tangible, constructive suggestions to improve the organization and support its growth objectives;
- A collaborative individual that is willing to consider diverse opinions and integrate them into creating effective solutions;
- An individual of the highest integrity;
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include "Director of Amp Up: NYC" in the email subject line.
271 Grove Ave, Building E2, Verona, NJ, 07044, US