The Cycle Effect
The Cycle Effect’s mission is to enhance the lives of young women through mountain biking and to empower them through mentoring and education.
Projected Revenues: $500,000 to $900,000
For more information, please visit www.thecycleeffect.org
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Development Director serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting The Cycle Effect. In partnership with the ED, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build The Cycle Effect’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Development Director will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The Development Director will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $500,000 budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support.
S/he will expand and diversify The Cycle Effect’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the Development Director will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by The Cycle Effect will increase in future years as the Development Director systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising capacity.
- Support and partner with the ED and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with the ED to develop and implement The Cycle Effect financial strategy
- Actively work with the ED to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position The Cycle Effect ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Identify, develop, and mentor the future development team
- Responsible for sending tax acknowledgements, properly thanking donors, and keeping record of all gifts received by working with the contracted accountant
- Responsible for developing a strategic fundraising plan that will guide the development efforts of the organization and board
- Plan and execute all special fundraising events based on the strategic fundraising plan and the direction of the Executive Director
- Actively work with the ED to develop and implement a comprehensive approach to obtaining and writing corporate, foundation, and government grants
- Responsible for developing and implementing an individual donor strategy that is inclusive of grassroots, annual and major gifts.
- 8-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside The Cycle Effect
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- High energy and passion for The Cycle Effect’s mission is essential
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Customer focus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter, current CV, salary requirements and 3 references to email@example.com
The Cycle Effect is an Equal Opportunity Employer.