About the Position:
The Controller will be responsible for oversight of all accounting, reporting, and compliance activites. They will lead all day-to-day accounting operations and supervise a team of four (4) staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding accounting procedures but also to explore how the accounting function can support program operations. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the CFO and is located in Oakland, CA.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Coordinate all audit activity and preparation of the Form 990 and all regulatory filings..
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements
- As required, assist Playworks managers in the annual budgeting and planning process; compare actual results to budgets with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CFO to prepare materials for the audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting
- Collaborate with program executive directors to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish administrative systems to support program operations
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment
- Seven to ten (7 - 10) years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders.
- Experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs.
- Proactive, hands-on strategic thinker responsible for day-to-day accounting operations and compliance
- CPA required
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger and payroll.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management and outside partners
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance
Compensation and Benefits:
- Playworks announces the highest possible salary at the time of posting. The salary for this position is $.
- Employer-paid health coverage; Paid vacation, sick and holiday leave
- Access to employee-funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts
- Visit http://www.playworks.org/jobs/office/apply-now to paste your resume and a concise cover letter
- Please no phone calls; Position will remain open until filled
380 Washington Street, Oakland, California, 94607, United States