Small Business Majority, based in Sausalito, CA, with offices in 7 states and Washington DC, is a non-profit small business advocacy organization founded and run by small business owners to represent the nation’s 28 million small business owners and self-employed individuals. Our organization has successfully advised state and national leaders using our in-depth research, policy analysis and close relationships with business owners and organizations across the country. The results have direct relevance for small business owners, policymakers and other stakeholders. (www.smallbusinessmajority.org)
We seek an independent, organized and motivated individual to conduct outreach and education to business organizations and small businesses, specifically surrounding new changes and opportunities with the Cover Oregon insurance marketplaces.
This is a short term, grant-funded, contract position beginning in October, 2013.
1. Identify business organization partners in Oregon, quickly build and maintain relationships, and serve as liaison
- Identify, develop relationships and serve as liaison with business organizations (Chambers of Commerce, Small Business Development Centers, Downtown Partnerships, Rotary Clubs, Urban League, etc.) that have the capacity and willingness to work as partners with Small Business Majority (SBM) to educate small business owners and self-employed about Cover Oregon and the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Work with these business organizations to disseminate information, organize events, gather feedback, etc.
2. Educate & conduct outreach to business groups
- Plan, facilitate, and organize numerous events including in-person presentations, webinars and conference call briefings on the Cover Oregon SHOP marketplace.
- Explain affordability programs, Qualified Health Plans, Essential Health Benefits, and tax credits as part of the new insurance marketplaces.
- Ensure small businesses know about their health plan options through the SHOP marketplace.
- Make referrals to Cover Oregon customer service, certified brokers or government and community resources as needed.
- Present information to local business groups, and appropriate public venues (conferences, etc.), on how the Cover Oregon marketplaces, and the ACA in general, affect small businesses and the self-employed.
- In close partnership with SBM’s Communications team, provide relevant information to small business owners via social media and emails as significant events arise.
3. Present Small Business Majority as a resource to business organizations
- Seek feedback from business groups and small business owners about additional tools and resources SBM can provide.
- Implement suggestions from business groups and owners on how SBM can be more helpful and relevant.
4. Build and activate Small Business Owners Network
- Use creative techniques to help grow the Small Business Owner Network for SBM.
- In partnership with SBM’s Network Coordinator, identify individual small business owners willing to serve as spokespeople on key small business issues for media, press conferences and government events.
5. Maintain information in database and outreach archives
- Work with SBM’s data team to ensure that appropriate information is entered into system (business organization partners, small business owners).
- Ensure that small business network is consistently growing in Oregon.
- Keep detailed records of outreach efforts and work in conjunction with SBM’s Grant Writer to present information for funder reports.
- Develop weekly report on outreach progress in Oregon.
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English strongly preferred, but not required
- Strong organizing and coordination experience, including detailed follow up
- Work independently, reporting to the SBM Outreach Director
- Ability to work from a home office
- Ability to quickly build relationships with all types of people
- Track record of ability to build and complete action plan
- Self starter who has ability to make cold calls and network
- Desire to “think outside the box” and be flexible to accommodate unexpected developments and changing priorities
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit
- Interest in staying updated on healthcare and other small business policies and comfort in talking about those polices; however, this is NOT a policy position; it is an outreach position
- At least 2 years of related work experience
- Frequent travel required throughout the state
We are an EO employer.
How to apply
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
4000 Bridgeway, Suite 101, Sausalito, California, 94965, United States