Community Health Councils (CHC) is a community-based, non-profit health policy advocacy organization dedicated to improving health in uninsured, underinsured, and under-resourced communities in Los Angeles and California. Our work is founded upon coalition-building, community partnership, and collaboration across multiple sectors.
CHC works through local coalitions to eliminate health disparities and achieve health equity in Los Angeles and California. CHC’s four policy areas define the work of our programs, coalitions, and advocacy: Access & Quality of Healthcare (reducing disparities in healthcare, improving the quality of healthcare delivery, and preserving the healthcare safety net); Nutrition Resource Development (expanding the availability and quality of food options, and monitoring the sale and promotion of foods for better stores and food selection in underserved communities); Expansion & Quality of Healthcare Coverage (expanding healthcare coverage and improving outreach, enrollment, retention and utilization in publicly-sponsored healthcare programs); and Environmental Health (reducing environmental hazards and improving the quality of the built environment).
The Community and Public Relations Manager will provide strategic guidance for CHC’s relationship with legislative and administrative entities and policy advocacy campaigns. The position is responsible for developing and implementing policy advocacy strategies; representing CHC at the highest levels to decision makers, community and other advocacy and nonprofit organizations; coordinating the activities of the various policy advocacy teams’ staff and budget; and helping drive the direction, growth, and strengthening of CHC’s relationship with the communities it serves. The Community and Public Relations Manager will also assist in CHC’s ongoing development and fundraising projects, its campaigns and events, advocacy and legislative efforts, organizational, community and public relations oriented communications and media activities, and other related administrative duties as needed.
The Community and Public Relations Manager’s primary job duties include:
- Provide strategic advice to the management team on the development and maintenance of effective working relationships with key administrative and legislative entities.
- Coordinate the scheduling of legislative and administrative visits across policy areas.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for the active engagement and participation of area residents in the various policy goals.
- Ensure effective integration and coordination of education campaigns across the organization.
- Plan and oversee implementation of CHC’s policy advocacy including lobbying, advocacy communications, popular communications, and community mobilization.
- Identify key emerging issues and opportunities for advocacy and community stakeholder engagement.
- Provide strategic leadership of CHC’s policy advocacy including policy decision tracking, collection and maintenance of policy research repository.
- Manage advocacy communications including e-blasts, website, press releases, fliers and other collateral outreach materials.
- Maximize brand-impact and manage brand-risk by ensuring the quality, accountability and policy coherence of CHC’s policy priorities and processes.
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction of CHC, with particular responsibility for advocacy and community engagement.
- Consult regularly with organization policy directors and communications director.
- Provide oversight and guidance to CHC community liaisons.
- Contribute to internal management as part of the CHC Management Team.
- Ensure the accountability of policy advocacy, community and public relations work through timely planning and reporting.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 4-years of experience working with elected leaders and/or agency staff in Los Angeles and California
- At least 2-years of experience in the development and implementation of grassroots advocacy efforts
- Experience working in underserved and minority communities, particularly the South LA region
- A strong belief in CHC’s organizational mission and an interest in learning more about health policy advocacy issues
- Excellent computer and communication skills; self-motivated; ability to work unsupervised; organized
- Professional or Academic experience in: Advocacy/Policy, Fundraising, Marketing/Communications, Urban Planning, Political Science, Public Health, Community Development, Program Planning or related fields
- Experience working in the non-profit sector and/or experience working with health policy issues
- Administrative experience working with a database, creating and giving presentations, working with volunteers
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to travel throughout the local area and statewide
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly organized
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, familiarity with GIS, SAS and STATA a plus
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and complete salary history. When replying, please use the following as your subject line: “First Name Last Name – Community Relations Manager – Idealist Applicant”
3731 Stocker Street, #201, Los Angeles, California, 90008, United States