NPA seeks a senior communications professional to lead our growing national communications program. The ideal team member can create successful communications systems, communicate our vision and work to key audiences, develop relationships with media personnel, as well as pitch, train and prepare NPA leaders and staff for media appearances.
The Communications Lead Staff person will be good at taking in background information and campaign context to pull out sticky messages and frames for our campaigns and communications work. Meanwhile, s/he will have an eye on the organization’s identity overall and guide how we show and communicate who we are and where we’re going. S/he must be able to develop and implement a strategy to influence the public debate in America by inserting NPA’s narrative about putting people before corporations and building a racially just economy that works for everyone. A commitment to social justice and advocacy, political, or other campaign experience is a must.
The ideal team member is familiar and comfortable with grassroots community organizing as well as enthusiastic, diplomatic, and effective at working in coalition and with diverse individuals and institutions.
- Lead press communication strategy and implementation on our campaigns and about the organization.
- Write statements, op-eds, other opinion pieces and public materials for NPA
- Ensure the story of who NPA is and what we are doing is told clearly and consistently through online communications, media outreach, and events.
- Promote and raise the profile of the successes and leadership of the work of National People’s Action and its grassroots community organization members.
- Lead staff, partners, and contracted PR firm in implementing a strategic communications work incorporating media relations, events, rapid response, and building buzz to move campaigns and our narrative.
- Work with affiliate staff and allies toward smooth integrated communications around particular moments or events that call forth all of our strengths.
- At least 5 years of experience in nonprofit communicationsincluding experience publicizing advocacy and policy stances at the state and/or national levels. The ideal candidate will be an effective print, online, and in-person communicator
- Past experience should include prepping grassroots leaders, staff and organizations for broadcast and other speaking opportunities.
- Track record of success pitching journalists and elevating organizational leaders and members as spokespeople, presenting core messages and/or creating ‘which side are you on’ moments with targets.
- Track record establishing the story of an organization and its successes among peers, allies and funders.
- Willingness to travel and work weekends when events require it.
- Self-starter and task juggler
- Bilingual (Spanish) candidate preferred
This position may be based in Chicago or in our Washington, D.C. office.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Amanda Devecka-Rinear, Revenue Campaign Director, at email@example.com. Women, people of color and LGBT people strongly encouraged to apply. Position is open until filled.
810 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, Illinois, 60642, United States