LOCATION: Washington, DC
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Rolling until hired
POTENTIAL START DATE: June 1, 2013 or as soon as possible
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate on experience; excellent benefits are offered.
Energy Action Coalition is seeking a smart, ambitious and experienced Communications Coordinator to help coordinate and support our coalition partners and grassroots leaders' communications efforts in the run up to Power Shift 2013 and beyond!
When 10,000+ young people come together this fall for Power Shift 2013 it will be a defining moment in our fight for a clean energy future, and YOU can help ensure that when it happens, our partners, grassroots leaders and the movement are heard LOUD & CLEAR.
The Communications Coordinator will have a hand in developing strategy, then driving our media plan and outreach efforts. We need someone who can help provide the tools and support for our partners and grassroots leaders to tell their stories, and help us collectively raise our voices to win critical campaigns, from stopping Keystone XL to environmental justice fights across the country.
This is not a typical communications job; this is a chance to shape history. If you believe we need major change in the next couple of years, and have what it takes to make it happen, than we want to hear from you!
ABOUT ENERGY ACTION COALITION
Founded in June 2004 by youth climate leaders, the Energy Action Coalition (EAC) mobilizes the collective power of the millennial generation to stop climate change and create a just, clean energy future and resilient, thriving communities for all. The 30 partners and allies of Energy Action Coalition work together to leverage our collective power and create change for a clean, efficient, just and renewable energy future. Our work is focused on four strategic areas: campuses, communities, corporate practices, and politics. To learn more visit http://www.wearepowershift.org/
The Communications Coordinator will work with the team at Energy Action Coalition and our partners on a host of efforts including earned media outreach, development of the WeArePowerShift.org online community, and social media support.
- Support development of media and communications strategy
- Execute media strategy and outreach for priority campaigns
- Support partner media efforts on priority coalition campaigns
- Train and develop a diverse pool of spokespeople with grassroots leaders and partners
- Develop press materials and other outreach tools
- Deploy rapid response media efforts to seize opportunities to advance the Coalition's campaign efforts
- Coordinate message and press outreach across partners and allies to advance EAC's local and national advocacy campaigns.
- Develop and maintain new means of elevating voices from the WeArePowerShift.org online community, including newsletters and partnerships
- Provide support and content for social media efforts
- Support partners and staff to develop compelling content for online communications and blog posts
- 2-3 years experience in all aspects of campaign communications strategies, marketing, and media relations.
- Excellent writing skills for diverse audiences: youth activists, the press; the public; policy professionals.
- Excellent detail-oriented project management.
- Enjoy working under pressure, under deadline, and can think quickly on your feet.
- Strong judgment on what kinds of tactics and campaigns will attract press attention
- Experience turning press attention into campaign wins
- Spanish speaking
- Experience with a strong network of communications professionals, reporters, etc
- Experience and skills with graphic design
START DATE: ASAP
SALARY: Salary, commensurate with experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
SUBMISSIONS: Cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) references from your most recent employment and/or education.
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Communications Coordinator" in your email subject line.
Energy Action Coalition is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBT persons, differently-abled people, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.