10,000 Degrees believes everyone should have a chance at college. We advocate for equal educational opportunity and support students in need to successfully access, pursue and complete higher education. Now in our 34th year, it is an exciting time for 10,000 Degrees as we are expanding into new communities, providing more programs, and serving more students and their families, than ever before.
The College Advisor is an integral part of 10,000 Degrees’ college track of programs and is primarily responsible for facilitating the early college awareness programs including the 10,000 Degrees Institute as well as providing college and financial aid counseling to local students and families. The College Advisor also assists with students in accessing other college resources, and conducts College Day tours and a variety of workshops for students and parents in Marin County. The College Advisor hired for this position will be based in Marin County and will represent 10,000 Degrees.
- Develop and deliver curriculum, support and training to students participating in 10,000 Degrees’ early college awareness and partnership programs;
- Maintain regular contact with assigned cohort of students, including frequent campus visits;
- Maintain excellent relationships with school personnel, community partners and program participants as well as families through meetings, workshops and online communities;
- Provide guidance and assistance to students and their families regarding college planning and financial aid;
- Represent 10,000 Degrees at relevant school and community meetings; make presentations and answer questions about programs and services;
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate files and data; generate program reports for analysis;
- Assist with program evaluation;
- Travel within Marin County;
- Any other assigned duties.
Experience and Skills Required:
- BA/BS required.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Minimum 2 years experience working with high school students, diverse communities, and/or underserved populations in an educationally related field.
- Expertise in college access programs for students traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
- Experience in financial aid and/or college advising is desirable.
- Commitment to the 10,000 Degrees mission, values and goals.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, impeccable judgment and initiative.
- History of working effectively as part of a team.
Classification: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
Some evening and weekend hours.
781 Lincoln Ave., Suite 140, San Rafael, CA, 94901, US