Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) seeks a Climate Organizer to engage PSR's health professionals in effective campaigns to fight climate change.
Utilizing the authoritative voices of doctors, nurses, and public health professionals, PSR is changing U.S. policy through education and advocacy. This year, we'll engage in the biggest climate change debate in years, helping slash carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants and supporting the Environmental Protection Agency's authority to regulate carbon emissions. Our success is based on engaging health professionals to speak out on climate change's life-threatening impacts on health.
PSR, a non-profit advocacy organization, works to protect human life from the gravest threats to health and survival -- climate change, nuclear weapons, and chemical toxins. We assert our strong medical voice through actions conducted by our national office, individual members and affiliate chapters. PSR was the co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1985.
We're looking for a results-oriented, highly productive team player. Priorities for 2014 will include:
- Design and execute successful campaigns that engage PSR members and other health professionals on the issue of climate change and health.
- With PSR's top staff, design campaign plans, materials, tactics and metrics.
- Generate significant numbers of comments and testimony to the EPA, media visibility, and citizen and legislator education.
- Coordinate educational and training events that prepare health professionals to engage in our campaigns.
- Increase levels of program engagement by PSR chapters and individual members. Strengthen the active participation of PSR chapters in national campaigns and convert online activists into on-the-ground participants.
- Promote PSR's climate work using social media.
- Measure and evaluate outcomes, propose continuing improvements.
The Climate Organizer will report directly to the Director of Environment and Health.
Experience and Skills Required
- At least 3-5 years of successful organizing or campaign experience for a progressive cause;
- Top-notch written and verbal skills;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work effectively;
- A record of achieving quantified goals and meeting deadlines, and
- Experience with social media, activist engagement and outcome evaluation.
Knowledge of climate change and/or energy issues a strong plus.
Our small, friendly office is located in NW Washington and is metro-accessible.
How to apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com "Climate Organizer" in the subject line. The recruitment process is open until the position is filled. Sorry, but due to the volume of applications we receive, we will contact only those persons selected for an interview.
1111 - 14th Street NW, Washington, DC, 20005, US